What's The Og?!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2thebrew

Reaction score
Hi all, have just put on a stout this morning, however forgot to check the OG before pitching the yeast (I know, massive rookie error).

Just wondering if anyone could hazard an (educated) guess, at the OG for the following;

1.7kg Morgan's Dockside Stout
1.5kg Morgan's Caramalt
500gm Dark Dried Malt Extract
250gm Lloyd's Stout Booster
Made to 23L, yeast pitched at 20c.

In the event I can't establish an OG, can anyone give me an idea of likely fermentation time and an ideal FG.

Thanks again for taking the time to help a newbie :party:

not sure OG but fermentation time is how ever long it takes in this weather id leave it for 2 weeks and FG again no real idea like any beer you make but just go by 4+ days with same SG readings

1057 according to Ianh's spreadsheet. (I have no idea what Lloyd's Stout Booster though so i guessed and added some ldme and dex). FG around 1014 again according to the spreadsheet.

1057 according to Ianh's spreadsheet. (I have no idea what Lloyd's Stout Booster though so i guessed and added some ldme and dex). FG around 1014 again according to the spreadsheet.

Not entirely sure what was in the stout booster either, the guy at my local HBS suggested it would give more body & head to the stout. Had to mix it in hot water before adding it to fermenter. I think it contained oats from the smell & consistency.

I was surprised the tin stated fermentation time of 5 days, I assumed it would probably take closer to 14 days, with a 2 or 3 days thereafter to settle

Thanks again :party:

found this info on it not sure if its the same type.

# 25 Stout Booster

A blend of dark malt and powdered corn syrup specially designed to add lots of flavour and body to your stout.

Never brewed stouts but my practice is about 10 days fermentation and 1 week cc at about 4c with pretty much all my brews apart from lagers obviously. Just get into the habit of getting OG and FG I get SG at about day 7-8 then again at day 9-10 if it has moved wait 2-3 more days before taking it again. Found if you think its close and take it every day then wait 3 consistent days you loose about a bottle of beer lol. The software to calculate stuff is just a estimate (usually close but can vary a bit some times) it is good to try to calculate a brew within the style of the beer.

Back