High than expected OG - what now?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwest

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice on this one. Brewed for the first time in a while today shooting for a solid Imperial Stout, and after higher than usual efficiency and not quite enough water, I've got 18L of 1.090 wort on my hands... I've pitched a pack of Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale, which probably wasn't the best choice now I've read the packet and found it's good for up to 1.060 OG. It's already bubbling away...

So where to from here? Options I'm thinking about are:

1. Do nothing and cross my fingers it all turns out fine. Beersmith is forecasting FG of 1.027 and ABV of 8.3%. I don't mind a good malty stout, but this is looking like a 3 course meal in a bottle at the moment.
2. Racking to a secondary after it settles down, and pitch another yeast. Maybe champagne or Nottingham?
3. Pitching another yeast ASAP.
4. Watering it down a bit to reduce the gravity and get a bit more volume out of it. I could handle up to 25L in this fermenter.

Anyone got advice on the best way to go from here?

you could always wait and see what your FG is then re pitch if its too high, this may result in a stronger ABV then you want depending on how much sugar is left for the yeast... maybe even reduce the amount yeast you re pitch,

adding water is an option tho if the yeast is already added this could make it hard to calculate your readings properly

I'm not so worried about ABV or specific calculations, more concerned that the yeast will struggle and throw off flavours if the wort is out of it's league.

mrwest said:
I'm not so worried about ABV or specific calculations, more concerned that the yeast will struggle and throw off flavours if the wort is out of it's league.
Your about to find out.

While I've never hit such a problem, I would've thought pitching another yeast asap would've worked best provided money wyant a problem and another pack of yeast was nearby, no?

Latest posts

Back