Whats The Most Useless Bit Of Brewing Equipment You Ever Bought

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember buying a brigalow Hydrometer.

Graduations from 1.000- 1.040, nowhere on the box were the graduations stated. :angry:

I mean "1.040" c'mon, please! <_<

BB

BoilerBoy - that is piss poor! What are they playing at with that one? Almost got me riled up enough to fire off a note to their headquarters - and I didn't even buy the stupid thing!!! No graduations or instructions...my god...every other hydrometer I've glanced at looks like it's been claibrated by a rocket scientist and comes with a leaflet covered with a myriad instructions in print so fine you need Aunt Betty's glasses to even get a glimpse of it!

Thats it, I'm going down and finding out their adress/email and firing off a polite but extremely stern letter to them explaining why they should put graduations on their currently sh!thouse hydrometers.

My God...no graduation...the nerve of it...

When my last hydrometre decieded it would give bungy jumping a go without the cord I went and had a look at these brigalow numbers - did the bad thing and ripped it open in the shop before purchase and noticed the limited range - if you read the packet it says its a 'bottling hydrometre' - anyone ever bottled a beer at 1.040 - I don't think so

didn't buy the sucker though ;) - piece of trash -
$10 down the the local hbs got me a nice french number!

lou

S shaped airlocks..I thought it looked cooler, but it just gouged out the grommet due to rough edges, and removed the pleasure of hearing the bloop bloop of the fermenting process.

I'm working on something to keep the heat up - got a big pot to use, need to make a Colostomy (BIAB) Bag and then I'm set... the BBQ doesn't put out enough heat I've worked out...

InCider...

Hit the camping shop at warana they had chinese 3 ring burners for about $38 last time I was there. Excuse - for making chilli sauce.

I should clarify with that there were graduated markings between the 1.000 ans 1.040

but 1.040 was the highest reading, I mean life begins at "40" pathetic really.

BB

Back in my home brew days I commissioned a glass blower to make me an airlock. S-shaped, thistle bowl, John Guest fittings....Rolls Royce. Broke it on its second outing.

The following were all bought prior to my first All Grain (and prior to AHB) that were supposedly required to make great AG beer:
- iodine
- ph papers
- calcium sulphate
- calcium carbonate

Doc

PET bottles.
Too bloody flimsy and you got to buy new tops all the time.

Though not the worst piece of equipment, I havent bothered with airlocks for some time now.

I used to like the "bloop" sound but now I can live without it and for all there worth there probably more romantic than reliable.

BB

i bought a plastic spoon thing that was kin d of like a pathetic mash paddle and thought it would be good to stit the mash.

WRONG.

snapped in the first 3 seconds and went in the bin

built a huge SS one instead

will be used by my grandchildren i recon.

cheers

i bought a plastic spoon thing that was kin d of like a pathetic mash paddle and thought it would be good to stit the mash.

WRONG.

snapped in the first 3 seconds and went in the bin

built a huge SS one instead

will be used by my grandchildren i recon.

cheers

I use a black plastic non-stick potato masher - you know it makes sense...

oh Tony, that's the holy grail of $$$ wasted. The plastic spoon that costs 300% more in a HBS than a cheapie store (surprise surprise) and snaps with 5 grams load on it.
That IS a complete waste of money.

What's the most useless bit of equipment? Well let me go and check my cupboard...

Oh! Here's a couple!

1. That friggin' bottle filler that Asher and Ross mentioned.
2. A monstrous air pump I thought I could use to pump cool air from my fridge to a fermentation chamber.
3. Kits: Just go straight to fresh wort kits guys - wish I had.
4. Hops: I have about 7 varieties in my fridge that I have no idea why I bought. The frightening thing is that several of these are unopened - WTF?
5. Anything fitting that is not a quick-release fitting. Every other fitting I find is a PITA to clean and often no cheaper anyway.
6. John Guest quick-release spanners. (Just use a 9mm open ender.)
7. PH Paper Strips - 20 of these last only a few brews. I now use the long roll which is great. Mind you I can't really taste the difference in the beers adjusted so who knows?

:huh:
Pat

Bottle brush. Seriously - a good squirt with piping hot water and a big fat sanitise and you're there...

Pat,
Hops: I have about 7 varieties in my fridge that I have no idea why I bought. The frightening thing is that several of these are unopened.
Just send all the above to me mate.

John Guest quick-release spanners. (Just use a 9mm open ender.)
Filed one down in 30 seconds or so.

PH Paper Strips
See Post 33 Pat.

:beer:

It's not exactly "equipment", but here goes:

The brewing instructions I got in my first brewing kit, WTF????

Ferment at 25C, for a week, then bottle?
Drill a hole in the top of my fermenter lid and drop in a heater at 25C for a consistent temperature?

I really thought about finding the instructions and pointing out every fault in it, but hey, I'm AG now (although kits and the "instructions" nearly put me off brewing all together) and am really happy I found this forum and the great people on it that have helped me along the way, along with some really great local AG friends that have been more than helpful.

I can say that I am more than greatful and happy with what I am producing now. That the "instructions" were for those who just want to brew something that is drinkable, but that I have always strived for something better than what is currently on the market.

Useless: Your first Kit instructions
Priceless: This forum and people who strive for fine brew.

Thank You!

BB

i agree Belgrave Brewer

i bought a coopers homebrew kit when i first got into brewing.

the instructions and video that come with it are an absolute joke!!

least the rest of the gear that came with it was half decent (30L carboy, nice big thick plastic spoon, hydrometer, 30xpet bottles (dont use them any more though, pretty much all glass these days, but they were great to start off with), little bottler (thing that goes in your tap for bottling with).

cant bag it out too much though, it started me off brewing, and here i am now!

Yep OM39A, it got me started as well but nearly put me off at the same time. I guess they try and make it sound easy and get you in entry level. I'll give them that.

Latest posts

Back