What's The Law.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not offended - just found it odd.

I'd prefer wet blanket, interfering, bureaucratic, busy body doo gooder tosspots myself.

The only reason as to why the government isnt charging us homebrewers excise is not that they dont want a slice of our money, it's as pointed out earlier - that it would be impossible for them to enforce.

Given how difficult they're finding the job of preventing people from growing certain plants in their backyards is, what hope do they have against us? It's the same reason that they dont charge excise on people who make their own bio-diesel from fish'n'chip shop grease in their backyards.

While I agree that suggestion is a big load of horseshite I'm having trouble seeing the relevance to feminism. Was it written by Catherine McKinnon?

Lips-That-Touch-Liquor-Shall-Not-Touch-Ours.jpg

(circa 1920's prohibition era America)

Slightly :icon_offtopic: But look at these sour bitches. I wouldn't want to touch any of them either :lol:

They can have their f**kin licquor. F**k that I'd rather do my dog & brew

Edit: the bitch straight under the sign looks like a fuckin' bloke mate. not nearly as good lookin as my dog though :lol:

This thread is wondering just a touch off topic
Might be advisable to exercise just a touch of restraint with some of our comments guys

For anyone interested this is how beer excise is calculated ATO Excise working example, here is the Excise table of rates.
Please note that there is an exemption on the first 1.5% of alcohol content this is compensation for the GST, as you can't tax a tax so to speak.

Home Brew has since its legalisation been estimated at close to 2% of total beer production in Australia, if you want to speculate on how much tax is forgone, that might help you work out a more realistic number.

MHB

I read somewhere (i think it was john palmers book but i may be wrong) that homebrewing above 2% alc was made legal so that commercial beer could be taxed at a higher rate. The reasoning was that because people could avoid paying the higher tax by making their own beer then it wasn't an 'unfair' tax. I remember reading that homebrew beer at this time wasn't an alternative to anything besides dirty brown vomit water so the government didn't lose many of its 'customers' to homebrew. Pretty sneaky really. This is all from memory and the author may have been speculating so whether its true or not is a mystery to me.

Anyway, if the above is true then it would be a pretty dog act to turn around years later after everybody (except me and whoever wrote the book i read :) ) and start charging tax on homebrew. If you count your time at even $10/hr its already cheaper to buy commercial beer, but having tax on top would be really shit.

How recent is the information? Pollies talk shit all the time and nothing happens, they generally say whatever they are thinking at the time and don't act on it, or do the opposite. So maybe the government will start paying us to make beer?

Please note that there is an exemption on the first 1.5% of alcohol content this is compensation for the GST, as you can't tax a tax so to speak.

Hmmm...they don't have a problem charging gst on fuel excise... <_<

Completely :icon_offtopic:
Actually, the thing under the sign looks like Rowen Aktinson in a strange but funny pose for some scene out of Black Adder

yep,couldt agree more, what next a tax on rain water tanks, a tax on home grown vaggies.[ i meant to say veggies but this computer wont let me delet bugga all...ahh.bugga it you get the idea.............the vaggie will now haunght me..........cheers...spug...err..spag.umm.spig....aahhh sprog...err nope..spog.....cheers.....
I'm not making any money out of it. I don't sell it. I don't see the big deal.

BTW: Am I the only one who finds it interesting that we are ferretting around for a piece of legislation that gives us permission to do something?

The only reason I brought it up is because I'm a nerd and I like to know things like this :)

Back