Whats The! Just Found Out Og Is Different With Hot Wort!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
I cannot believe this, just after pulling my hair out over not reaching my target OG of 1.050 (wort was probbly about 35C).
I'd conducted what i thought was the perfect mash at 65C, and couldnt figgure what was up, so in my frustration just added dextrose to bring it from the 1.039 it seemingly was up to 1.050 (so about 11% dex in the recipie)

Now I'm not actually shure how much different the temp has on the OG but from reading up that it should be taken just before adding yeast, I figgure 35C may change the reading a lot.

Also I'm wondering what people think my beer will turn out like..

It was a APA and already contained 15% wheat (already thinning it out a little) and was aiming for ABV of about 5%

Now it contains a further 11% dextrose in the recipie the thin it more and probably looking at an alcohol content of around 6% im guessing

Feeling pretty annoyed about the whole thing as it was a recipie i was really looking forward to trying and I'm hoping that the extra dextrose won't do much other then add a slightly more alcoholic bite to it.

Overall an awkward little mix up but would appreciate answers to any of my frustated ramblingcheers guys!
Drew

1.039 at 35C is about 1.044 at 20C. 1.050 at 35C is 1.055 at 20C

I cannot believe this, just after pulling my hair out over not reaching my target OG of 1.050 (wort was probbly about 35C).
I'd conducted what i thought was the perfect mash at 65C, and couldnt figgure what was up, so in my frustration just added dextrose to bring it from the 1.039 it seemingly was up to 1.050 (so about 11% dex in the recipie)

Now I'm not actually shure how much different the temp has on the OG but from reading up that it should be taken just before adding yeast, I figgure 35C may change the reading a lot.

It was a APA and already contained 15% wheat (already thinning it out a little) and was aiming for ABV of about 5%

Now it contains a further 11% dextrose in the recipie the thin it more and probably looking at an alcohol content of around 6% im guessing

Feeling pretty annoyed about the whole thing as it was a recipie i was really looking forward to trying and I'm hoping that the extra dextrose won't do much other then add a slightly more alcoholic bite to it.

Overall an awkward little mix up but would appreciate answers to any of my frustated ramblingcheers guys!
Drew

Well being as you are in metric and using an unusual thermometer that is calibrated in about degrees I will not do the conversion, as it would only be a guess. I am also not sure I would agree that wheat would thin out a beer.

I always take a reading after the mash and cool the sample while I bring the wort up to a boil. I measure the temperature before and after taking my gravity reading. Lots of programs and charts for converting gravity from temperatures other then what your hydrometer is calibrated for. It should be marked on the scale. If I missed something then either I boil longer, add water, or add dry malt extract. Dex or sugar is for kits, priming, or beer styles that call for extra sugar.

Another - Ready.....................Fire..........................Aim Moment

:lol:

Screwy

1.039 at 35C is about 1.044 at 20C. 1.050 at 35C is 1.055 at 20C

And that is why a refractometer rates as my favourite piece of equipment... can't believe how easy it is to resolve issues and to keep good data on your brew day.

most (all??) beer making software has gravity/temperature adjustment tools in it
probably you can find a site online that will do it too but google is your friend and I barely know you
:D

Drew

You used malted wheat? That won't make it thin and I'm not sure why you think it will.

Go here for temp correction: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/hydrometer.html

This is why sometimes people should spend a bit of time learning about the basics of brewing before being convinced AG is the holy grail. Anyway learning from mistakes is always good. 11% dex will just give you a drier, slightly higher alc beer. Learn for next time.

As much as i use google for conversions i really didnt think there would be a calc for this, well i have figgured out that my beer now probably resides anywhere between 0.055 -0.060

So the beer still fits in the guide lines of an APA, i'm more confident with this beer now this is set straight!

And at Manticle, I know what you mean with people going straight into AG prematurely, but i asure you that this is something i'd never encountered before as i always took an OG just before pitching the yeast.

And i find wheat gives less of a malty flavour to beer and less flavour overall and i find it slighly thinning in comparison to malted barley, so the added dextrose would add more alcohol with no flavour.

My point being do you think this beer is still balanced?

73% Malted Barley
12% Malted Wheat
5% Crystal Malt
10% Dextrose

IBU of 33 and alcohol percentage of around 5.6 - 6.3

Drewey

Looks fine mate.

Not having a go by the way but it is a basic error. Not that that should stop you - I've made many and I'm still alive and brewing. I just do see a lot of people going AG (or encouraged to go AG) when they don't have the grasp of the fundamentals thinking because it's AG it's automatically good. I myself have made some great kit, extract and partial beers and some very poor AG beers (also some poor kits and some cracking AG).

Wheat can lend tartness depending on how much you use and it can add proteins which aid in head retention (I find beers with a good proportion of wheat tend to get very meringue like heads). It won't really dry it out although I guess the tartness can give a similar perception. At 12% I wouldn't worry - I reckon, all things being equal, that that recipe looks pretty good.

Latest posts

Back