What's the difference between regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love a 2 or 3 outlet Harris but i dont have $400 odd spare atm. I might check out the taprite

Do any of them come with a gauge where serving pressure isn't just a blip on the dial? All the ones I've seen go up too far even for my force carbing needs.

Mine's got two gauges on it, one for high pressure and one for low pressure, which I use to dial in the serving pressure. The low pressure one has increments of 1 PSI (the red numbers). The high pressure gauge pretty much just stays at the same pressure all the time other than temperature changes or when the bottle gets low. Not sure if you can quite see the differences in the gauges in this photo or not..
11062419_10207752605441704_8253424156061859348_n.jpg

Mine's similar, but see how the low pressure gauge goes all the way up to 90psi? I usually serve at about 9psi, so I'm only using about 10% of the scale (I admit I exaggerated a bit when I called it a "blip" :) ). Even when I force carb I only use about 35psi so the rest is wasted space.

Am I missing something or is there a good reason these gauges go up to 80-90psi (other than cost)?

It bugs me because I have one of those pissy 2.6kg tanks sitting on the floor and getting your head at the same height to read the gauge without parallax error is very inconvenient. A gauge with a lower scale (or a logarithmic scale) would make a lot more sense for kegging right?

I have no idea to be honest :lol: but I tend to agree that having it go up to 90 PSI is a bit pointless for a home set up. Perhaps they are used in other operations that do need it to go that high though.

I'm glad I got one of the 6.8kg tanks, at least I can easily adjust the regulator when necessary by just sitting on the floor next to it.

The tap rite as mention, only goes to 60psi and is real easy to read.
Cheersimage.jpeg
Have it set on 12 psi, enlarge photo for better view.

@MB i have my dials facing up so a quick squat down to get close is all that's needed.
image.jpg

grott said:
The tap rite as mention, only goes to 60psi and is real easy to read.
Cheers
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Have it set on 12 psi, enlarge photo for better view.
Hows the Taprite so far Grott? Any wandering? It take about 24hrs for mine to wander 2 or 3 psi sometimes. And if i take a keg off the manifold it will change again. Maybe its my manifold?

Been excellent so far, stays at set pressure when turned on. The pressure set gauge will creep up a bit when the gas is turned off and the flow valve is shut. This is normal, about the flow spring in the gauge having to move to a new position of equilibrium causing the slight increase. When the gas flow is activated again sets exactly where you had set it. So far been impressed.
Cheers

Back