What's the difference between regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummy

Reaction score
So I knocked over my gas bottle and busted my regulator. It was a tescuo. As far as I can tell it did what it needed to do. So now I'm in the market for a new one. The prices range from $50 upwards. What do I get for paying extra money? Also, is there a limit to the amount of kegs that can can run off one regulator. I am building a 6 keg keezer. Thanks.

Please, I ask if you recommend the most expensive regulator on the market you can provide some sort of justification. As much as I think a Ferrari is a great car, to get from A -B, a Holden does the same job.

A Ferrari is hand built in Italy. A Holden is built to a budget on a production line in Korea. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

The same applies to regulators. My Micromatic is robustly built and has worked well for several years. It's no Ferrari but it's not a Great Wall either. I'd recommend them. I'd probably also look into a BOC or CIGWeld if I need a replacement down the track.

Just remember, the price between budget and decent regs is probably fifty odd bucks. About the same cost as a refill when a cheap reg empties your bottle on the floor. Cheaper again when you blame your leak on a keg or fitting and lose another bottle full.

Buy right. Buy once.

Well I would have said a BMW... But fair to say you get what you pay for.
I have a twin TESUCO and am very happy with it, have had better and worse, probably the one I liked best was the BOC Thermodyne Regulator looks like its out of production now.
One think worth remembering about TESUCO is that parts are available, I don't know what you broke but odds on you can fix it.
Mark

Cheers guys. I get that usually the more you spend the better the product, however one cannot always buy the best product of everything. Money I save on one thing is money I can spend on another. I can't afford the ducks nuts in kegs, taps regulators and fermenters. i just figure there are some areas that are more important/beneficial than others.

Cummy said:
Cheers guys. I get that usually the more you spend the better the product, however one cannot always buy the best product of everything. Money I save on one thing is money I can spend on another. I can't afford the ducks nuts in kegs, taps regulators and fermenters. i just figure there are some areas that are more important/beneficial than others.
Of course you buy what you can afford but surely with all the extra savings you are making on not buying beer, you could get yourself a decent regulator.
Micro Matic all the way. I've had three different brands & nothing was as reliable & trouble free as the MM. No creeping at all & well built.

I have 2. One is micro-matic and one is keg king. They both work well but the micro-matic has a shut off gate valve thing where the tubing attaches. The keg king has no gate valve

I find having the valve reassuring in terms of limiting co2 loss

I have a micromatic and a harris, and rate the harris as better.

Crusty said:
Of course you buy what you can afford but surely with all the extra savings you are making on not buying beer, you could get yourself a decent regulator.
Micro Matic all the way. I've had three different brands & nothing was as reliable & trouble free as the MM. No creeping at all & well built.
I have finally realised I'm not saving a cent from not having to buy beer. Not complaining, but finally aware of my new Hobbies hidden costs and shiny obsessions

Crusty said:
What Harris one have you got earle, model?
Shit, its a 601 but I actually meant to say the micromatic is better. Dangers of drinking and posting.

I have a micromatic and it's pretty good.

However if you were happy with the model you had and can't replace parts, why not just buy another? It wasn't a fault with the reg that led to its demise.

Micromatic here too. I've only had mine for just under a year but it hasn't missed a beat. I imagine you could run any number of kegs you wanted to off one regulator? All it's doing is maintaining a pressure level.

I've got a dual outlet (with valves) $40 ish cheapie from eBay, my mate has 2 of the same type. 1 year old and no complaints as yet.

what broke when it fell over? usually its the neck that snaps off and you can remove the broken bit with a eazy out and screw a new one in.

what he said..

if you just broke the gauge, it's about 5 bucks on ebay for a new gauge.

of my half dozen regs over the last 10 years (5 still in service) i think the keg king multi gas with the big knob is one of the best. i've had from 20 buck ebays to 100 buck micromatic, my micromatic always crept, didn't like it. my fave is an ancient Downey i inherited with my first keg. it's had a couple replacement gauges and probably drunk more beer than is good for it, but still works great.

My only experience is with a Keg King MK III. It just works. You turn knob to desired pressure and that is it.

So, on a related note, I would be interested in what makes a regulator a bad one. What goes wrong when it does?

I'm very happy with my micromatic. I've had a couple of other regulators in the past and the micromatic is far better.

Keg King Mk III here, no issues so far. My only wish is better resolution down low on the low pressure gauge.

I have two Tesucos. Neither are worth two knobs of goat shit. They both creep, one worse than the other.

I have heard no bad reports about the Keg King MK3.

Latest posts

Back