Whats The Difference Between A Lager And A Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
hi
got a mate who asked me a question today and i couldn't really answer it ...whats the difference between a lager and a pilsner? ...anyone? :unsure:
feel free to be as historical...or sublime as you like ...
we figured it had something to do with saaz hops ...or perhaps the yeast ...but these were rank guesses so if you know please let me know ...yeah :)
cheers simpletotoro

There are 2 types of beer in the world, lager and ale.

Pilsener belongs to the lager family and should mean cold fermented with a saccaromyces uvarum yeast strain.

Pilsener is also a widely abused style name.
I think it's time that the Czechs applied the controlled appelation law ala the French!!!

tdh

A pilsner is a lager, a lager isn't necessarily a pilsner... A pilsner is a type of lager that is rather clean (no esters), high in bitterness and maybe a bit malty.

It's the same as saying "What's the difference between a red wine and a shiraz?"

away from history, from my point of view, a Lager is an ordinary bottom fermented beer around 20IBUs, no special malt, neither special hops is required.

A Pilsener is also a bottom fermented beer, made by light malt only, with an emphasized note of hops around 30 to 40 IBUs.

Cheers :beer:

Back