Whats the best way to cut open a keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjp770

Reaction score
So I managed to get some 50L kegs for HERMS (eventually) and im wondering the best and neatest way to cut them open? They are already de gassed. I have an angle grinder and dremel, but no other cutting powertools / fancy oxy torch etc.

Also on a side note, considering kegs are always the property of brewery's do the cops bat an eyelid when they see them used in brew setups? I only ask as I may get a firearms inspection in the same shed with little notice. My first though its just throw a sheet over them...

I used an angle grinder on mine, just rest the guard facing outwards against the rim/handle and follow it round
Do it in a few passes scoring down a little at first to score your hole then work your way down

On the cops batting an eyelid thing, I've got the same problem coming up as I'm planning on getting my rifle licence soon
I'll probably just keep my keggles and a few other things hidden in a cupboard in the house

I did mine with an angle grinder and some files to clean up. Draw a circle in texta with a plate or somesuch for a template.

Don't throw away the spear/dip tube - it makes a perfect dipstick.

I cut mine with a 4 inch grinder. I was actually surprised how well it works.on the cops my old man has 2 keggles out in his shed right next to the safe and they have never said anything when doing a safe inspection.

Sweet, thanks for all the feedback :)

Might suggest a 1mm cutting blade for a 4"angle gringer makes an easy job of it

Same here, cut it with a grinder, worked fine.

Just remember to release all the pressure first. Or you may end up with a face full of spray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgasVWYpAk

Thanks. Seems like a good way to do it.

Consider making\buying your lids before marking & cutting.
Those heatproof glass lids for the 19-litre stock pots Big Dub sell work well.
As above, get rid of the dip tube\degas before you cut.

Turning upside-down, cutting out the bottom (for your lid), then welding a ss coupling to the dip tube hole allows for underletting\better drainage.
Search AHB for something like "yardy" + "False Bottom" to learn how to turn your offcut into a false bottom.

3240_1-1_4_lb._felling_axe_tekton.jpg

Consider making\buying your lids before marking & cutting.
Those heatproof glass lids for the 19-litre stock pots Big Dub sell work well.
As above, get rid of the dip tube\degas before you cut.

Turning upside-down, cutting out the bottom (for your lid), then welding a ss coupling to the dip tube hole allows for underletting\better drainage.
Search AHB for something like "yardy" + "False Bottom" to learn how to turn your offcut into a false bottom.
I got my glass lid for my keg from Vinnies for only 2 bucks!

Angle grinder with the guard against the side. Def make sure its de gassed and check that it is outside. I thought I'd done it but I was wrong. I was covered in old beer and so was most the garage. Haha.

sjp770 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgasVWYpAk

Thanks. Seems like a good way to do it.
I did something similar to this.
the jig was slightly different but worked in the same principle.
I also cut the handle ring off the top.

Latest posts

Back