Best Way To Cut A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibbo

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals...
Got my hands on a 50l s/s keg and just wanted to start a disscussion on the best way to cut it open. Thinking the best way is to cut it so the handles are still attatched. Also what to cut it with...jigsaw with metal cutting blade, angle grinder, oxy??? I'm also a bit unsure the best way to make full use of it...as in making it into a mash tun/HLT. I'm currently in the progress of picking up gear here and there so i can get started on AG brewing. I've got the fermentor already, I have a mill on the way, got a gas 2 burner outdoor to boil from, bought some swiss voile on the w/end and was thinking of buying an 30lt aluminium pot with like a cray pot insert which i was going to use for a BIAB system. Now i have the keg, i need to re-think my plan...thought i'd throw it out there and get some thoughts from people in the know...cos i need all the help i can get... :drinks:

Hey Nibbo,
I used an angle grinder with cutting wheel. This did the trick nicely. There are videos around on youtube on how to make up a jig that will give you a perfect circle however I didn't want to have to go and buy timber to make it happen.

After cutting I used a flap wheel to smooth it off.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Clint

Edit: Posted this after writing.

Hey Nibbo,

I have seen some awesome videos on Youtube that show you people opening up the kegs.

Search for a guy called "BobbyfromNJ". He has a video called something like "How to cut open a keg". There are a few others on there, one with a dude who uses a plasma cutter - if you have one, it seems like a breeze!

get some of these

14.jpg

make sure they are for stainless steel, the 1mm thick discs are like using a hot knife thru butter

cheers matho

keg cutting

if you got a plazma cutter this is the way to do it. i used a grinder
just make sure you dont cut the hole too big you want to be able
to put a pot or pan lid of some sort on it. i cut mine too big and its
a bit of a pain in the ass.

just too note cut your temp probes low
or near your valves too.

clean the thing up with a scouer pad too not steel wool

Cheers fella's...all the advice will help out greatly...just cleaned out the shed yesterday i prep for some brewing action hopefully in the near future...crap was everywhere...i think i'll need to source a lid from somewhere before i cut so i know how big a diameter i need. Getting a false bottom in if i get one one day will also need consideration i spose...as you can see, i'm still up in the air on what AG technique i'll be going with.

Ha ha...work computer won't let me into u tube...bastards!!! No internet at home makes life a bit harder...Think i'm all over it though.

and also these

View attachment 48416

to be safe

+1 ^

:lol: couple o weeks ago I cut up my first one, after about 2 mins, I wandered inside slapping my ears, the missus dug up some of those shitty gig style squishy ear plugs for me... almost but not quite completely useless, that is until I squised em in me ears and then gaffa taped round me head....

perfect!! :lol:

Yob

Hi Guys/Gals...
...bought some swiss voile on the w/end and was thinking of buying an 30lt aluminium pot with like a cray pot insert which i was going to use for a BIAB system. Now i have the keg, i need to re-think my plan...thought i'd throw it out there and get some thoughts from people in the know...cos i need all the help i can get... :drinks:
If your going to use it for BIAB make the hole as big as possible, you can always make a lid to fit later.
The reason is that when you lift the bag out the grains & liquid in it form into a ball at the bottom of the bag usually as wide as the keg, and if the hole isn't big enough you'll have to forcefully drag it through the hole. If this happens any liquid above the grain in the bag will start to escape over the outside of your keg and if you have any nicks or sharp edges where you cut the hole you could ruin your bag.

The hole of the keg I use is 35mm from the side of the keg & the bag will still catch. As I use an electric hoist and only brew single batches it isn't a problem for me as I lift the bag in stages as it drains into the keg, once most of the liquid has drained away the bag comes through easily. Even though I have a lid for this keg I'm still planning to cut the top away completely and just make a custom lid myself. The best way is to cut away the whole top of the keg just leaving the handles:
Keg_Top.jpg

The people who use Urns & stockpots don't have this problem because they have straight sides. Cheers

Good thinking 99
Makes sense...more things to consider...will be pending if i BIAB or not.
Much to ponder...

First thing to do before cutting a keg is get yourself a lid. Target sell 28cm diameter glass ones for $12 that are big enough and fit nicely on top of a keg once cut out. Trace the outline of the lid with a marker, then cut just inside the line and you now have a keg with a lid.

+1 ^

:lol: couple o weeks ago I cut up my first one, after about 2 mins, I wandered inside slapping my ears, the missus dug up some of those shitty gig style squishy ear plugs for me... almost but not quite completely useless, that is until I squised em in me ears and then gaffa taped round me head....

perfect!! :lol:

Yob

Those squishy ones rock.....You just need to know how to insert them properly.

Roll them between your fingers to make them long and thin, then using the opposite hand to the ear you are insert it in, lift the top of the ear so it straightens the ear canal, insert plug and hold until it expands into place....Mine work so well that the wife had to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention even though the grinder was switched off as she got sick of shouting while standing right behind me.

No jig required to do it. I did mine like this guy:

The guards on the grinder space it nicely. Some folks use a little bit of WD40/RP7 on the top to stop the grinder wheel from heating up so much - debatable as to whether this step is needed.

Get a few grinder discs if you are cutting more than one keg - cutting mine I went through a few (they go blunt pretty quick).

Make sure your keg is depressurised first or you will get a bunch of beer spray!

Simply depress the ball valve with a hammer or screw driver or if it's a toohey's style - depress the rubber in the coupling with a screwdriver.
Depressurising best done with keg on its side or with a plastic bag placed over the over the coupling to avoid getting wet! :)

Hopper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think i'll be trying to avoid the golden shower...

Just clicked on your link Robbo2234...Blocked...they've thought of everything...lucky i can still access this site still considering it's open all the working day...

Latest posts

Back