What's The Best Kit Pilsner. Want To Pick One Up 2 Morrow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder

Reaction score
G'day guys.
Am putting down an AG Weissenbock this weekend but want to also grab a nice kit pilsner for the other fermenter.
Just interested in getting suggestions on the best Kit. I am thinking an E.S.B Czeck 3kg kit. Anyone tried this one?
Any other good ones or better ones out there?
Give me some good K&K recipe ideas

Cheers

Morgans Golden Saaz with 1 kg of dextrose - S189 Yeast.
BPrimary for 2 weeks - rack and dry hop with 25gms of Saaz pellets for 4 weeks.
Bottle & keg.

Won a prize in the ACT State Championships in 2000 with this.

Bottle & keg.

What would be the IBU rating of this one?

Kits are usually 25 IBU's

The dry hop only adds aroma and flavour - should not effect bitterness.

I've done a Morgan's with extra Saaz. I suggest you boil 3lt water with 20g hops for 10min, add 20g more and boil for 5 min more. Take off the boil. Chuck in a Cooper's BH 1 and the kit and chuck it in the fermenter with good lager yeast.

edit typo

Grinder,

No such thing as a great KK pilsener. Move to all-grain (the dark side). Only way to make a pilsener. I have judged many a KK pils. All are crap.

cheers

Darren

Why not try a Fresh Wort pils... ferment it at the proper temperature too, 8-12C and lager it at -1C for a month or two

The ESB 3kg kit gives a pretty decent pils for a K&K I reckon. Try it with a Wyeast 2278 Pils yeast with a 15g Saaz dry hop addition and a good lager and I think you will get what you are chasing.

Grinder,

No such thing as a great KK pilsener. Move to all-grain (the dark side). Only way to make a pilsener. I have judged many a KK pils. All are crap.

cheers

Darren

I am doing an all-grain also, but only have time to do 1 AG brew this weekend. Want to put down a quick kit as well that is good. Hense the post...

Unarguably (ok I have ducked for cover)
The Muntons Connoisseurs Export Pilsner, brew it with 1 - 1.25 Kg of Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract, I would dry hop it in the rack with a plug of Czech Saaz.

Ideally brewed with a good Pilsner or South German Lager yeast at the appropriate temperatures.

If you dont have temperature control, the yeast under the lid is made by Saf, so use it 16-20 C and dont waste money on a yeast upgrade.

All of the above should come in around $35 - $40 so not the cheapest kit beer but you asked for the best!

Cheers
MHB

I am doing an all-grain also, but only have time to do 1 AG brew this weekend. Want to put down a quick kit as well that is good. Hense the post...

Do a double batch of all-grain. Kit pils is not worth wasting your time with.

cheers

Darren

The Muntons Connoisseurs Export Pilsner, brew it with 1 - 1.25 Kg of Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract, I would dry hop it in the rack with a plug of Czech Saaz.

Ideally brewed with a good Pilsner or South German Lager yeast at the appropriate temperatures.

If you dont have temperature control, the yeast under the lid is made by Saf, so use it 16-20 C and dont waste money on a yeast upgrade.

All of the above should come in around $35 - $40 so not the cheapest kit beer but you asked for the best!

Cheers
MHB

Sounds like the last time I went into a HB shop and asked for advice!!!

$40 and go grab a slab of a good imported pils. Lauenbrau is quite acceptable.

cheers

Darren

Darren
I usually ignore your more factious posts in this case I will make an exception.

In part I agree with you - but that doesn't answer the question asked by a member of a forum that purports to encompass all levels of brewing.
Someone who is an AG brewer, and is capable of making up his own mind, based on personal experience, what they want to/should brew asked a specific question.

The question was "what is the best kit pilsner", I spent my time to give what I believe, based on my experience is the best answer to the question asked.

The kit and ingredients I mentioned are among the most expensive on the market, I freely acknowledge this, although that wasnt the question asked either.

I am not so far up my own ass that I can't accept the possibility that some people might not make the same choices as I do. If a member wants to make a kit beer who are you or I to tell them that they can't, or shouldn't for that matter.

Where we really have to disagree is:-
"Lauenbrau is quite acceptable" (is that Lowenbrau); not what I would consider to be $40 well spent, but each to his own.

MHB

Bottle & keg.

GMK wasn't that the same recipe you recommended for Munich Helles that you advised someone to do back in 2004 in this thread? :p

Must be a mighty versatile recipe!

Back on topic... Plenty of people love the Coopers Brewmaster Pilsener kit.
It also has the advantage of coming with a lager yeast of some sort, although only 7g or so.

Sluggerdogs excellent kit review site is here

cheers Ross

I did the Xtract Pilsner a couple of months back, to show a mate how easy it is to make a beer. Just starting into the second case of stubbies now.

Was pretty crap at first, but I'm really liking it now, 2 months on.
Hope you find a good one.
Pete

Cheers
MHB
Hope this sort of kit is good, MHB cause Im making almost the exact same kit this weekend. Have you made it before? And Im not wasting my time as I only have time and $ for K&K/extract atm.
And the next part I say in the nicest possible way. IMO Darren wouldnt it be of more use to GRinder if, after stating that kity pils is waste of time, give him a K&K recipe anyway (if you have one of course). As he is a AG brewer he knows the benefits of both styles.

Coopers pilsener, 1kg coopers b/e 2, 20gms saaz 20 min boil, 20 gms saaz 5 min steep, comes with a lager yeast.
Have brewed a couple of times in winter at approx 15 degrees (down the back of our warehouse where temp is fairly constant).
Quite palatable.
Cheers
Mark

I'd say a Fresh Wort Kit Pilsner. I've got one on the go at the moment, and it's looking great!

Back