What's the best famous homebrew/clone/recipe you've ever brewe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like clones. Good clones I have brewed are:

1. Schneider weisse
2. Stone Ruination IPA
3. Stone Arrogant *******
4. TDA's Leffe Blonde - Flyblown pale ale
5. Hobgobli
6. Aventinus Weizenbock
7. Jayse's Skunk Fart Pale ale - was all the rage b4 the Smurto recipe came along.
8. Doc's super appeasement ginger beer
9. Pliny the Elder

Early days of homebrewing, cople of years ago... Complete arrogance and disbelief the homebrew could taste better. The below extract + steeping grains recipe of Chimay Blue has changed a lot in my approach... Turned darn good as I recall, even with the fact I used MJ Belgian yeast fermenting it at 28C (in accordance to the instructions) which surely produced loads for fusel matter as well as esterts, considering high OG, no oxidation or started... Guess I was just lucky :)
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73965

Currently working on whatever Pils recipe I will find the best to my palate... Not really a clone, just a decent Oktoberfest type of happiness...

In some future - a decent Vitus as well as Schneider's Tap 5.....

Another yes vote for that Zombie Dust recipe. It's awesome

Gidday Guys, Would really appreciate a 23 L Recipe for that Zombie Dust Clone if someone has one .
Thanks. Darren.

Coopers PA according to Andrew QLDs method and recipe.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/21143-recipedb-coopers-pale-ale-clone/page-3#entry436478

In terms of a clone, easily the closest I've ever got.Going to the trouble of drinking a six pack of Coopers, harvesting the yeast and building a starter was well worth it.
Only difference being I used NB hops rather than POR simply because I like them. And no POR was available at the time from my regular supplier anyway.
I actually prefer mine to the original.

I will second Dave70 sentiment. AndrewQLD coopers pale ale is a cracker of a beer. It was the first AG I ever did and i still make it at least once a month. I usually culture up from a sinlge stubby though or use the wlp009.

I used to like the james squire golden ale clone as well that andrewqld made however I think the amarillo changed after the first year i started brewing because it doesnt taste as good anymore

Another vote for DSGA, like others it was the "gateway" brew that got me hooked on all grain ....... damn you Dr, my wife used to have a laundry ....now i have a lab :lol:

One of my fav. clones is based n Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale ..... I make a version of this recipe, first brew where I beat out the commercial craft brews in a blind taste test with a few mates.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/15348/red-trolley-clone

My Sublimely Selfrighteous Black IPA was a great clone, and i brewed Pliny the Elder 10 days ago.

Real loved my Rogue dead guy clone. I haven't tasted the original, only other clone. But it was a lovely beer.

I make a Mountain Goat steam ale from a recipe think I found here.
Gets brewed fairly often as its a great session beer, tried it against the real thing a few weeks ago and was surprised how close it tasted.
Preferred mine as it had more body anda little less carb from the keg.

I don't really brew any clone beers, but the one I have brewed was a SNPA clone, which was supposedly formulated with help from the SN brewmaster himself. I've brewed it twice, and it's pretty bloody close to the original beer; mine have been a tad darker on account of a slightly darker crystal grain but the flavour and aroma are pretty much spot on.

For a 25 litre batch:

5.220 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.6 EBC) Grain 1 92.1 %
0.450 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (145.0 EBC) Grain 2 7.9 %

75 min boil because it suits my system:
19.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 21.4 IBUs
18.00 g Perle [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 8.9 IBUs
30.00 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 7.6 IBUs
60.00 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min

I used Wyeast 1056 yeast in it, fermented at 18C. CC for a week at 0C then bottle/keg.

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 %
Bitterness: 37.9 IBUs
Est Color: 18.1 EBC

Rocker1986 said:
I don't really brew any clone beers, but the one I have brewed was a SNPA clone, which was supposedly formulated with help from the SN brewmaster himself. I've brewed it twice, and it's pretty bloody close to the original beer; mine have been a tad darker on account of a slightly darker crystal grain but the flavour and aroma are pretty much spot on.

For a 25 litre batch:

5.220 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.6 EBC) Grain 1 92.1 %
0.450 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (145.0 EBC) Grain 2 7.9 %

75 min boil because it suits my system:
19.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 21.4 IBUs
18.00 g Perle [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 8.9 IBUs
30.00 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 7.6 IBUs
60.00 g Cascade [7.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min

I used Wyeast 1056 yeast in it, fermented at 18C. CC for a week at 0C then bottle/keg.

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 %
Bitterness: 37.9 IBUs
Est Color: 18.1 EBC
Same here. I have brewed it many times. I bought a six pack of SNPA when I ran out once, and felt ripped off because I could have brewed a batch for not much more and could hardly tell the difference.

My next cloning effort is a Coopers Dark Ale following the recipe in the DB.

LCBA with a few little tweaks... Brewed it three times in the last year... Always a winner.

Jez said:
Another yes vote for that Zombie Dust recipe. It's awesome
This the one on beersmith? I have heaps of citra to get rid of.

wide eyed and legless said:
Funnily enough when I was in the UK last year I tried a lot of different bitters and my stock bitter which is served through the hand pump was as close to a Timothy Taylor Landlord also pulled through a hand pump that I could ever have got. Having not tasted the Landlord until I got to UK I would never have known.
Would you be prepared to share the recipe?

Green Flash DIPA brewed it a few times and hand handed out a couple of bottles at work to blokes who are just dipping there toes in the craft beer scene every body loved it, its my go to beer for the IPA . Its the best IPA I have had home brewed or commercially brewed. the recipe is in this link along with a list of other big cloned beers.
Cheers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=280749

Latest posts

Back