What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a slow cooking fest over the weekend. Love this style of cooking that really warms you up during the cooler months. Also makes the house smell so good!

Lamb shanks the key ingredient.

Saturday was shanks, beans (butter and borlotti), veg (onions, celery, carrots), garlic, thyme, bay leaves, white wine (savagnin), passata (from my green zebra tomatoes), smoked paprika and homemade chicken stock. Slow cooked for 9 hours till the meat literally fell off the bones when i picked them up with tongs. A cup of chopped basil added just before serving.

Sunday was shanks, lentils, veg (onions, celery, carrots, capsicum), thyme, bay leaves, oatmeal stout and the same green zebra passata. Again, slow cooked for 9 hours with a cup of chopped basil stirred in prior to serving. A big chunk of homemade baguette to mop up all the lovely juices.

Pic of Sundays meal.

2012-05-27194245.jpg

SWMBO's birthday yesterday. We're going to Per Se in NYC next week (3 Michelin starred, recently ranked #6 in the world by restaurant magazine), so I figured there's nowhere in Australia that's going to beat that... May as well knock something up myself!

Decided to do a bit of a Latin American & French fusion for the night:

Apetizer

Cold cream of cauliflower soup with black caviar. Paired with a Pisco Sour as an aperitif.

IMG_8179F.jpg

Entree's

Pacific Oysters with Salmon Roe and rice wine vinaigrette. Paired with a 2009 clonakilla viognier

IMG_8184F.jpg

Raw Hiramasa with sour, salty and fragrant dressing and white truffle carpaccio. The viognier above kept on pouring and pairing.

IMG_8189F.jpg

This was it when served on a plate: This was the hero of the night. Every mouthful was orgasm inducing. :icon_drool2:

IMG_8191F.jpg

Main

Lamb backstrap with quinoa, chargrilled corn & red capsicum, coriander and topped with chilli lime dressing, with Aussie blood lime wedges. Paired with a Tempranillo from....somewhere.

IMG_8199F.jpg

Dessert

Chocolate and Grand Marnier creme brule with fresh raspberries. Paired with a late harvest dessert wine from .... NZ.

Unfortunately I didnt get a photo of this, but the recipe is here. (I might just make it again tonight to use up the rest of the raspberries)

SWMBO's two favourite French cheeses. Saint Argur and Fromage d'Affinois, with quince paste, more caviar and that dessert wine.

IMG_8208F.jpg

It was pretty Epic. Next time I would have squeezed in a little lemon sorbet with mint to cleanse the palate before the main.

SWMBO's birthday yesterday. We're going to Per Se in NYC next week (3 Michelin starred, recently ranked #6 in the world by restaurant magazine), so I figured there's nowhere in Australia that's going to beat that... May as well knock something up myself!

Decided to do a bit of a Latin American & French fusion for the night:

Apetizer

Cold cream of cauliflower soup with black caviar. Paired with a Pisco Sour as an aperitif.

IMG_8179F.jpg

Entree's

Pacific Oysters with Salmon Roe and rice wine vinaigrette. Paired with a 2009 clonakilla viognier

IMG_8184F.jpg

Raw Hiramasa with sour, salty and fragrant dressing and white truffle carpaccio. The viognier above kept on pouring and pairing.

IMG_8189F.jpg

This was it when served on a plate: This was the hero of the night. Every mouthful was orgasm inducing. :icon_drool2:

IMG_8191F.jpg

Main

Lamb backstrap with quinoa, chargrilled corn & red capsicum, coriander and topped with chilli lime dressing, with Aussie blood lime wedges. Paired with a Tempranillo from....somewhere.

IMG_8199F.jpg

Dessert

Chocolate and Grand Marnier creme brule with fresh raspberries. Paired with a late harvest dessert wine from .... NZ.

Unfortunately I didnt get a photo of this, but the recipe is here. (I might just make it again tonight to use up the rest of the raspberries)

SWMBO's two favourite French cheeses. Saint Argur and Fromage d'Affinois, with quince paste, more caviar and that dessert wine.

IMG_8208F.jpg

It was pretty Epic. Next time I would have squeezed in a little lemon sorbet with mint to cleanse the palate before the main.

You, Sir, Are the man. Magnificent effort. Are you a chef? That is stunning. I hope your wife knows how good she has it.

BTW - Real Pisco? my wife and I were introduced to these in Santiago. mmmm

Thanks mate :)

No, not a chef. I just love cooking & eating.... as much as brewing, and I love going all out about once a year (especially when it's to impress the pants off a lady. :lol: )

Yes, Pisco Queirolo. We bought a bottle back with us from Peru, but you can buy it here at some bottleshops.

Yes, Pisco Queirolo. We bought a bottle back with us from Peru, but you can buy it here at some bottleshops.
good lokn food there phoneyhuh
..slightly OT
my mate was introduced to pisco by his host family on student exchange many many a year ago. been drinking it ever since he came back and introduced it to us. lots more places stock pisco now then back then. some Dan Murphy's, vintage cellers used to, nicks wine merchants, international cellars etc. great stuff. although thge cheap quality stuff can be average, but then again its the same with tequila. pisco and tequila have a type of quality system akin to johnny walker (ie red, black, yellow green, blue). all the same brand but differant levels of quality. the cheap stuff you mix, the good stuff you drink straight.

Salt baked lamb with fennel. Lemon and artichoke sauce.
I'd seen this salt bake done with fish at a restaurant in France so when I saw it in a roast cook book my wife borrowed from the library I had to have a stab at it...

My pastry skills aren't the greatest, my wife is the baking person in the family, so it doesn't look as neat as the pic does in the book :) Plus I just used a lamb leg as it came, not an easy carve rolled and stringed one like they suggested.
I'd definitely do so next time because the shape would have been much easier to deal with.
Great fun to make though, very satisfying when you tap the salty dough to reveal the lamb.

Browned lamb with fennel seeds and garlic.
dough of cooking salt, water and plain flour.
View attachment 55269

lamb ready to be rolled in the dough
View attachment 55270

slightly uneven looking dough encrusted lamb
View attachment 55271

roasted salty dough with the lemon and artichoke sauce. I had to improvise on this a little too as I didn't have any cream. Cream cheese and milk was substituted instead.
View attachment 55272

Cracking the salt dough to get to the tasty lamb, baked with some lemon slices and rosemary inside the dough
View attachment 55273

This is all from the Women's Weekly Sunday Roast book. It's a good one. Roasts and BBQ recipes, as well as some soups and veges I haven't even looked at yet.
last week I made green lentil and pancetta stuffed chicken, very tasty... I think we'll be buying this book...

Guiness pies. Based on the recipe from the masterchef site and it is a cracker! Ofcourse, used my oatmeal stout instead of Guiness :p

109_1888.JPG

Just cooked and ate, but forgot to photograph, Schweinshaxe. That is fresh pork hocks simmered in Porter ( didn't have any Helles) with garlic pepper corns, cloves, thyme, parsley with chopped celery, carrots, leeks and onion for two hours then rubbed with oil and salt and roasted at 200 for 20 odd mins to crackle up.

Ahhh... I ate way too much. Will posts a pic when I cook it again.
Cheers
Chris

Thit Heo Kho Tieu (Five spice caramel pork)

This was beautiful...

pork.jpg

Even though it's raining in melbourne, for dinner tonight... BBQ!!!!
Bbq'd corn with butter lime and chilli and some extra butter with paprika for basting.
Chops, rump steak, medium rare (1 really rare piece for me) with sage oregano and Rosemary salt as a dry rub.

Even though it's raining in melbourne, for dinner tonight... BBQ!!!!
Bbq'd corn with butter lime and chilli and some extra butter with paprika for basting.
Chops, rump steak, medium rare (1 really rare piece for me) with sage oregano and Rosemary salt as a dry rub.
Forgot oven roasted cherry tomatoes and home grown asparagus (both green and purple).

Cooking now. Corn smells amazing. Real sweet charred corn, popcorn smells.

Slow roasted in the smoker:

Lamb shanks at 135* for about 7 hours... :icon_drool2:

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

Please excuse the crappy phone pics but was busy getting to eating it!

Been ages since I've posted.
Here's some noteworthy (IMHO) cooking efforts that I've managed over the past few months.

You can see what this is!
IMAG0272.jpg

Pan seared tuna with kipfler potato, green beans, stuffed olives, blood orange and valencia orange segments and an orange vinagerette.
IMAG0291.jpg

Calamari tubes stuffed with pork mince and shallots.
IMAG0351.jpg

Peach chutney. I do this every year but always run out.
IMAG0415.jpg

This is based on Luke Nguyens chargrilled pork neck with vermicelli noodles. I occasionally add spring rolls to this as you can see.
IMAG0437.jpg

C&B
TDA

duck1(2).jpg

duck2 (7).jpg

The roast duck needs work the taste was there dont think i rested it long enough. The kang kong was amazing....

Roast Duck with kang kong

Left over duck Laksa

Jeez katie come be my cook. Ill brew for u. Surely u miss the sweet amber nectar.

Hope ur well.

Latest posts

Back