What's next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosscomatic

Reaction score
Hi all

So I'm brand new to the brewing game and this forum. So sorry if this has been asked before...

My setup consists of a Coopers fermenter and associated stuff that came with it, and a bajillion PET bottles... I obviously then buy kits and extracts and yeasts and hops as required, and then make what I refer loosely to as "beer".

In terms of next steps, what would have the biggest impact on the quality of my brews do you think? I'm leaning towards some way of controlling the fermenting temp. Would that be right? Or is there something else that I might need...

Currently I sit the fermenter on my kitchen bench (and my wife doesn't even mind!!!) so the temp is moderately controlled, but definitely not perfect.

Thanks in advance!

Rosscomatic.

Ferm Temp control will have a huge impact on quality,all fridge (I picked mine up off the side of the road in hard rubbish collection), tested, it needed a fan ($30 ebay) then an STC1000 ($20 ebay) if your confident doing electrical stuff should have it sorted in an afternoon, there are several threads in the DIY section of the forum on exactly this.

and get into buying better yeasts, dry is fine, rehydrate and pitch adequate numbers....

Otherwise some good insulation and a cool spot might be enough for you to get started.

If you are anxious to get brewing a polyester wall batt will encircle many fermenters perfectly. From there a few freezer bricks shoved down the side can decrease the temp of your brew.

Eventually you will need a fridge (or similar) as mastersBrewery has correctly stated.

Using a better quality dry yeast would be ….bah….yum beer…. what he said.

If you don't already have any, grow some facial hair. Be sure to tell everyone you know that you are "laying down" a "insert obscure beer style here" and mock your mates for drinking rubbish. That will improve the quality of your brews.

Just kidding; follow the advice above re temperature and yeast, plus try dry hopping. Read heaps, experiment heaps, follow AHB heaps and be clean.

But i was serious about the facial hair.

yum beer said:
and get into buying better yeasts, dry is fine, rehydrate and pitch adequate numbers....
Ok so I've started looking for a very cheap/free fridge to ferment in now...

Yeah I have just read about this... So the more maltyness, the more yeast you need basically, right?

Is there a website/program whatever that helps you...ummm... Design you beer from start to end? Something that's not tooooooo complex?

Look for the ianh spreadsheet in a sticky in this forum. It's exactly what you need. Design a beer from start to finish.

Oh and yeah, grow some facial hair as Lincoln said. There's a name for men without a beard... Women.

Facial hair #1

#2, maybe its just me, but I like to brew in thongs and socks.
I feel kind of……..ninja-esque.

CrookedFingers said:
Facial hair #1

#2, maybe its just me, but I like to brew in thongs and socks.
I feel kind of……..ninja-esque.
Geez... So many things I'm doing wrong!!! I haven't found any of this advice in books...

Stupid books...

manson81 said:
Look for the ianh spreadsheet in a sticky in this forum. It's exactly what you need. Design a beer from start to finish.
This spreadsheet is the best! IanH is awesome.

Is there an instruction manual that comes with it that explains what's what? In general terms I get it but, for example, the yeast part I don't understand.

Back