Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do most people get all these foreign beers from? Most bottlos I go to only have a select few available.

As you are at Rathmines, I would highly recommend Warners at the Bay (or is it Warners on the Bay?) @ Warners Bay. They have an awesome selection of beers and they also sell glasses for $5 each. They must only be 15-20 minute drive from your place.

The ones above were mostly picked up at Grain & Grape/Cloudwine cellars in Melbourne. Cloudwine and International Beer Shop (+others) do mail order.

Thanks Rukh, I'll have to suss that place out. Warners Bay is definitely a 15-20 min drive so its easy to get to.

gallery_2743_249_178731.jpg

Shared this cache with a neighbour up the road. We started off with the Westvleteren blond (bottle on the right + clones) before heading into APA, IPA, 2IPA territory.

Found the 3 Ravens to be very full bodied and malty with not much hop showing through. The Beast was very malt driven. The Hopinator had great colour and some hidden bitterness, but ultimately didn't live up to the 2IPA label due to malt/golden syrup taste/aroma. Murrays 2IPA had a fair whack of hops whilst still having a malt presence. Murrays was definitely the pick of the crowd.

Out of the Beast, the Hopinator and the Murrays Icon, the only one I find to have the required drinkability and the finesse required with big beers like that is the Murrays. It really overshadows the rest and makes them look fairly poor by comparison. I had the Hopinator on tap the other night and was truly underwhelmed. Muddy and one dimensional was how I found it whereas the Murrays is a great drinking beer with nice complexity of flavour.

Out of the Beast, the Hopinator and the Murrays Icon, the only one I find to have the required drinkability and the finesse required with big beers like that is the Murrays. It really overshadows the rest and makes them look fairly poor by comparison. I had the Hopinator on tap the other night and was truly underwhelmed. Muddy and one dimensional was how I found it whereas the Murrays is a great drinking beer with nice complexity of flavour.
It would be great to get a bit less maltiness in the 2IPA, but it is still an awesome beer.

Sunner Kolsch was nice. It presents well and isn't offensive in that flavours and aromas are mild and a touch malty. It would probably make a good session beer, although I'd still prefer something with more hops in it. Certainly this would be a good "gateway" beer for the dirty unwashed masses.
gallery_2743_249_125666.jpg

Eisenbahn Kolsch had a table sugar sweetness in aroma and flavour (in a bad way), although it is supposed to be an all malt beer. It only had two months until the best before date so perhaps a fesh version might be okay. In any case, I had to tip this one out after a few sips.
gallery_2743_249_108724.jpg

Came across a few German friends in the bottle o the other day
Beerness_007.jpg
Radenberger Pilsner
Paulaner Orginal Munchner Hell
Paulaner Hefeweissbier
Hofbrau Oktoberfest

The first two were decent enough lager, quite enjoyed the Oktoberfest too.
As for the Hefeweizen...YUM! :icon_drool2: One of the nicest i've had in a long time. Tempted to buy a few more of them.

Oh, and I stubbled across some Americans on my doorstep coming home from work this arvo...
Beerness_008.jpg
My order of Rogue beers...
Old Crustacean Barley Wine
Imperial IPA
Younger Special Bitter
Imperial Pilsner
and Imperial Stout

Not sure where to begin! :chug:

From what I remember the most impressive thing about Rogues beer are the bottles :(

Where abouts did you get them from and what else do they have?

From what I remember the most impressive thing about Rogues beer are the bottles :(

Very impressive bottles indeed, probably where alot of the price goes! :blink:

I got these bad boys from Cloudwine online. They've just updated their stocklisting of Rogue beers as of this week and have quite a decent range...normal range in 650ml(?) bottles and the XS range in bombers.

Thought i'd check out the buzz on the whole 'imperial' styles first up. Never had the chance to try an authentic American microbrewed 'imperial' beer of any description...just homebrewed versions ;)

DSCF0003_1_.jpg

Rogues Brutal Bitter, more of a slap across the face with a woman's glove than Brutal. 59IBU, Centennial all the way through. As expected it does finish finish reasonably bitter but it doesn't linger too long. The hop flavour is evident without being enormously strong, possibly subdued a little by the cara-wheat and cara-vienna. It's a reasonable beer but at 15 dollars a bottle there are many other beers I would buy before purchasing another Brutal Bitter.

Not cheap either at $32 a bottle for some of those.

C&B
TDA

I first had one of these about six weeks ago, this one was last night. It's going downhill :(

sebastian.jpg

Couple of British friends came by the other day...
Sam_Smith_002.jpg
Samuel Smiths IPA.
Nice hoppy bitter-style ale, not as 'big' as I was expecting from an IPA.
Sam_Smith_003.jpg
Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter.
Smooth, very tasty, maybe a touch too thin.

Was in Dan Murpheys this arvo and spoted these.

Recogniced the Label from AHB and the Millet man Budgie Brewery.

The lager: Clear, clean, Head died away early but that could have been my glass. Un-usual beer for a lager. Had a kind of Fortified/red wine aroma. I assume form the malts used to make it gluten free. Enjoyable drop all the same. worth a try for anyone liking something a bit different. Well ballanced quaffer and very easy to drink.

The Pale Ale: Clear, clean as per the lager. Better than LCPA i can say. This had some colour and body to it. Same slight red wine aroma but well and truly dominated by an american hop aroma. Balances the malt well. also very easy to drink.

Both great beers. Not something i would drink all the time but if i had a gluten allergy.......... Id be set!

cheers

Obrien_Lager.jpg

Obrien_Pale_Ale.jpg

Tried this one today

Great beer, i really liked it.

Slightly hazy but the head on it was light and fluffy and lasted for ages as i siped away. Smooth malty body with a great spicy/earthy hop flavour and aroma. Smoth but up front bitterness that lingered slightly...... just right! Very bright and fragrent.

I could drink a lot of this.

cheers

Redoak_Pale_Ale__549_x_824_.jpg

Mmmm yeah Tony. Big fan of Redoak PA. As far as i'm concerned its on par with Murrays Nirvana PA.
Neither of which are hugely American or British in their catagory as far as Pale Ales go. Just well balanced and nice tasting in general without being to a specific mould or style.

Bit of a shame its hard to come by, and quite pricey.

As mentioned elsewhere,
A couple that I opened on Saturday night.

Crown Lager Ambassador, and Murray's AA1.

Bottle_FInished.JPG

Glass.JPG

SL371136.JPG

Been celebrating the birth of our first grandchild Emily on 19 Nov.

These are some of the brews I've enjoyed. About to sample the Hobgoblin and Monteiths.

IMG_0196.jpg

Drink the Monteith's first... you'd be disappointed to end on that note. It's not going to taste horrible, but it is not anything like you'd expect.

As it happens, I consumed the Monteith's while uploading the picture on Photobucket. I did enjoy it, little aroma but tastes quite malty, however, it seems to not have much in the way of any hop character. I could happily drink it again, but think it lacks a litttle in the way of complexity.

I'm now on the Hobgoblin, which is one of my favourites. Just love that beer. If I could brew a decent copy of that it would be my house ale. And the screensaver you can download from Wychwood Brewery's website is also pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back