Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a couple of Yankee beers to bring up 600 Ratebeer ratings.
Hercules_002.jpg
Left Hand Black Jack Porter
Decent sort of porter. Lots of chocolatey roasted malt flavour, quite a bit of mollasses like sweetness and a solid body to boot.

Hercules_005.jpg
Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
Wow! This is tasty! Quite possibly the best IPA i've ever tasted; huge resinous American C hops; stonefruits, pine, grapefruit, you name it, but what suprised me the most was the good amount of malt character underneath it all; you can actually taste some toffee sweetness, which is hard to come across in something so brutal with hops and bitterness. Ridiculously drinkable for a 9% beer!

I picked up some of the new Mad Brewers Orchard Ale. Not a bad drop and I would think better of it if they didn't try describing it as a saison with apple as the characteristic dryness of a saison is seriously lacking. Anyway, here is the pic.

Orchard_Ale.jpg

It's quite sweet with lots of fruity character and some light spicy yeast notes. Quite drinkable and good for the price.

MT Brewery Cuvee Blonde
Must be bottle conditioned because the clarity started out fine :)

mtblonde.jpg

Boon Framboise
Fruit Lambic

Pic doesn't quite capture the deep red and the pink head.
Strong fruit flavour with a tart sour finish. Not as intense as a Cantillon but a very good example all the same.

boonframboise.jpg

I picked up some of the new Mad Brewers Orchard Ale. Not a bad drop and I would think better of it if they didn't try describing it as a saison with apple as the characteristic dryness of a saison is seriously lacking. Anyway, here is the pic.

View attachment 35503

It's quite sweet with lots of fruity character and some light spicy yeast notes. Quite drinkable and good for the price.

Had this at the Portland last night... you are right, not dry enough, but other than that, its not a bad saison. You do have to let it warm up a looong way from teh temp they serve it at before it starts to taste like a saison. But once you do the typical Dupont strain flavours/aromas do come out quite well. Didn't like the apple part though.. just tasted like an acetylaldehyde fault to me.

Not a great saison by any means, but not a bad beer either if you give it a chance.

Bashah_001.jpg
Brewdog/Stone Bashah
A black IPA of sorts, bloody tasty stuff, ticks most of the boxes for me; rich roasted malts combining with big American hops (choc-orange anyone?), remarkably well hidden alcohol, bucketloads of bitterness. Would love to see more beers like this!

Not quite "in the glass" but the fun is about to begin
IMG_1572.JPG

Had this one last night and quite enjoyed it: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/43740

strongale_1.jpg

Like a Barley Wine in many regards and fairly well balanced overall. The malt flavour is fairly strong with a beer this strong of course, but the bitterness and oak flavours blended quite nicely. Was a nice beer to enjoy after dessert and at 11% more than one glass could be deadly!

View attachment 35503

Beers.jpg

Have to agree...they shouldn't have put apples on the front - the guy at the mile end liquor store said 'I think it is a mix of cider and beer'. Not a great saison, but still drinkable and it wasn't expensive either - I think $7...

Cheers
Phil

My Gf got me a bottle of La Trappe Quadrupel Trappistenbier yeasterday, Its a corcked 500ml

A little back ground on it from the web site.

latrappe.nl

Welcome at the website of Beer Brewery de Koningshoeven, the only Trappist brewery in the Netherlands! Here, all La Trappe beers are developed and brewed in collaboration with the monks of the O.L.V. Koningshoeven Abbey.

Worldwide, only seven Trappist beers remain. Six of these come from Belgium, one comes from the Netherlands, and that is La Trappe. The beer can only be called a Trappist beer if it is brewed at a Trappist monastery under the supervision and responsibility of the monks.

(About the Beer)

La Trappe Quadrupel

A unique Trappist beer that is even put to rest sorted by year in the cellars of the abbey for further fermentation. The strongest beer of La Trappe with a beautiful amber colour. The warm taste is full and well-balanced. A little bit sweet and pleasantly bitter. La Trappe Quadruple is also fermented in oak barrels.

Since recently, we also age La Trappe Quadrupel in oak barrels. This gives the oak-aged Trappist beer an even fuller taste with a special wooded scent, which is comparable to wood-aged red wine.

10% vol. alc., pouring temperature 10-14 C

I will drink the beer tonight and take some pics. Anyone ever had it? Any thoughts?

had these about a montha ago with old mate hairofthedog :

standouts were the Epic and the Punk IPA

DSC00773.JPG

I will drink the beer tonight and take some pics. Anyone ever had it? Any thoughts?

Amazing beer. Incredibly and dangerously smooth and easy to drink! Cool bottle too B)

Just Coopers Pale Ale at the moment, as I'm too poor to go out and buy anything decent.

Nothing wrong with CPA mate! When ever i get a carton of somthing diffrent Its all good to start with but i get half way through it and wish i had some CPA!

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus

Merlot grapes blended with aged and young lambics.

Fantastic! Sweetness and fruit in the initial mouthfeel.
Aroma is grapes and funk.
Finishes with plenty of body leading into the tartness that remains right to the end.

I think is may well be my second favourite, after the Rose de Gambrinus.

stlamcant.jpg

last nights effort
19022010106.jpg

this is what i want to make.

last week haul
P1230413.JPG

a couple of adelaide beers nice american style pale and ipa from Lobethal Bierhaus,
and a wheat from clare valley.
finished it off with some Unibroues

Ok, I thought it was time to celebrate... celebrate the fact I had this tucked away in the fridge!! :p

Fresh from the states, smuggled back in my snowboard boot...

I am not good at describing beer so all I can say is it is awesome - very hoppy aroma and flavour, a lot more bitter than its little brother SNPA....

View attachment 35889

edit: add the f*ckin photo! :rolleyes:

Back