What's Good In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
I like to add a sliver (about thumbnail size) of Cayenne Chilli to a Growler (2L) of my JS Golden Ale clone, makes a great thirst quenching chilli beer, with just a hint of warmth.

What do others add? Anyone add Rosemary to their Pils (tried a Rosemary Pils at the ANHC 2008 was fantastic) something I have thought about, it's on the to-do list.

Looking forward to hearing what others get up to !!

Screwy

I like to add a sliver (about thumbnail size) of Cayenne Chilli to a Growler (2L) of my JS Golden Ale clone, makes a great thirst quenching chilli beer, with just a hint of warmth.

What do others add? Anyone add Rosemary to their Pils (tried a Rosemary Pils at the ANHC 2008 was fantastic) something I have thought about, it's on the to-do list.

Screwy

Sounds like a great idea, Screwy!

I've been thinking about a hop flower/bottle in an IPA, and a little long pepper in an ESB...

but you've already tried my Juniper in a Yorkshire Bitter of course (though i'll forgive you for not remembering :chug: )

Screwy

I made an APAish beer yesterday with a heap of Kaffir Lime leaves in the last 3 minutes. I hope I didn't OD it :) but it does smell fantastic.

Batz

I put black pepper and cardomon in the last wit I made as well as the usual lime rind and corriander

Once stuck 1kg of redskins lollies in an APA and it was a ripper

Sichuan pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg goes into Pumkin Ale.. as does 2kg or roast pumpkin

dark chocolate into a stong belgian dark ale

wheat bix into hefeweisen

I have to unsubscribe to this thread i'm afraid, i'm drooling all over the keyboard :icon_drool2:

A tablespoon of ginger powder into 4% pale, lightly-bittered summery ales. It acts like a flavour enhancer - you can't really taste it but you could tell if it wasn't there. It brings out the hop flavours - especially (I don't know why) the resiny/piney ones.

EDIT: galangal works well with citrusy hops, esp cascade.

Coffee...

I'm not in the All Grain like most of you guys - but I like playing with trying some slightly "different" brews. This one is a freebie tin of goo and some grains, hops and coffee.

1 Can ESB Darling Downs Draught.
1kg LDME
250ml expresso coffee
120g Black Patent Malt
120g Chocolate Malt
120g Dark Crystal Malt
45 g Willamette Hops @ 45 mins
10g Willamette @10mins
Nottingham yeast

Tried it first time this weekend - pretty good, perhaps a bit too strong on the coffee.

Basil in a helles (ok it's over bitter for a helles, let's say dortmunder) was nice.

On this very type of topic - if you are coming to ANHC club night, the ICBs might have something you'll like. Always wanted to see what ingredient X would taste like in a beer??? Well, bring a bit of ingredient x along with you to club night and you just might get to find out.

TB

OK let's see... (And Screwy you knew I was going to answer in here eventually :)...)

I used to put chillies in the bottle for some of every batch in my kit days. Different chillies, different beers.
Best was Siam in a blonde ale.
Habanero beers have to be drunk within a few days or they turn into fire water that can only be drunk in shots...
You have to drink them in a few weeks or else they carbonate so much they pop when you open them and spray all over your mates roof...

kaffir lime leaves, lemon and lime in a wheat.

Christmas spices in a pale ale to make an aussie christmas beer. Oranges, Cloves, utmeg, cardamon, cinnamon, mixed spice, macadamia honey.

Leatherwood honey in a brown ale.

Fruits of all sorts. Strawberry wheat, mixed berry wheat, fig lambic, mixed berry lambic, fig porter (with brown sugar and Cointreau), Cherry Dunkelweizen

Sour Oranges, also known as Rangpur Limes or Mandarin-Limes to sour a belgian beer without yeasts or other bugs.

White Chocolate and spices in a bock.

Dark Chocolate and sour orange in a belgian dark.

"Thai" beer - chilli, lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime on a wheat beer base

I'm sure there's a couple more ingredients I haven't thought of but that's the main ones.

I put black pepper and cardomon in the last wit I made as well as the usual lime rind and corriander

Once stuck 1kg of redskins lollies in an APA and it was a ripper

Sichuan pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg goes into Pumkin Ale.. as does 2kg or roast pumpkin

dark chocolate into a stong belgian dark ale

wheat bix into hefeweisen

You made the papers Swinging Beef:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restau...0117-19tv5.html

About 1 million of the raspberry-flavoured taffy sticks are made every year, many of which end up being partly masticated and stuck to bus shelters, and others of which end up in ... beer. According to aussiehomebrewer.com.au, mixing one kilogram of Redskins into your mix gets you a nice strong brew with a raspberry bouquet.

I use badgers Spleens and larks Vomit, sourced form the Jodean Peoples Front

Latest posts

Back