Whats A More Malty Less Hoppy Beer ? (i Need A Recipe)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if it's worth suggesting a recipe that is not so tried and tested, but on paper it looks like it ticks your boxes:

Malty Helles

87% Pilsner
8% Vienna
2.5% Melanoiden
2.5% Wheat

Bitter to 20IBU with german noble hops like Tettnanger and consider a small addition at 15 of the same or Hallertau or something

Mash on the malty side for a lager, maybe 66 or 67c with a small addition of calcium chloride...

Wyeast 2308

My Irish Red recipe:

Mashing in @68c, mash out @76c – 5mins

2.5kg Ale Malt Maris Otter

1.14kg Munich II

0.50kg Wheat malt

0.34kg Crystal malt

0.27kg Melanoidin

0.11kg Wheat Chocolate

0.02kg Roasted Barley

30g Northern Brewer @60 mins

US-05 10 days @ 19c then 10 days @1c

hey Clutch could i sub in BB ale malt for the MO ?

then all i need is as i have the rest
0.50kg Wheat malt
0.34kg Crystal malt
0.27kg Melanoidin
0.11kg Wheat Chocolate
0.02kg Roasted Barley

and is that a 5 min rest at 76 for mash out ?
and what size batch is that ?

@ Citymorgue2 and Gav80

i guess it's vague as i don't know enough beers and really need to be more adventurous...

maybe if you offered a little list of a say 2 good beers to go buy per style ?

maybe 2 brown ale ? (color about newcastle BA ?)
scotch ale ?
Red Ale ?
or ?

i know LFPA and DRSGA are not massive hop beers, but compared to megaswill even LCPA or the SNPA i just drank my HB seems to have a much bigger hop / citrus punch.

just trying to diversify but not end up with a keg of something i don't really like...

thanks for your input :)
Go buy the book I mentioned you won't regret the buy. Heaps of great recipes and they are all explained by style.

Make an ESB or special bitter.

English base malt, crystal between 200 and 500g per 20-23 L batch, biscuit or victory if you have it. Bitter to a level you like, late hop/dry hop if you want or alternatively just stick with the bittering addition.

UK yeast.

All the other suggestions are good but UK bitters can be malty, hoppy or malty and hoppy so you should be able to find the level you like. English base (like maris or golden promise) adds maltiness.

When I think about malty well balanced ales the first one that pops up is Fat Tyre Amber Ale...

I bought a box of FTAA in Costco in Seatle - nice beer. I've been cloning for a while now.

If you want to make any beer malty as hell, just add 10% cararoma! You can hardly taste the hops behind that.

Latest posts

Back