What You Brew For Profit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That lab coat is great.

I think I'd be real keen to run a pub with an attached microbrewery. Ideally it would be all onsite beers like Mountain Goat, Mount Tamborine, or if I'm a billionaire, Little Creatures. Otherwise, just getting inhouse beers and other craft beers on tap would be nice. I'd just do it for the good times and the business would probably fail haha.

As for cleaning, on REAL big scales (like XXXX, Tooheys, etc), they use caustic acid to flush out and clean their tanks. It's all run by computers. I think the busiest place is the bottling line where they usually have people at all different areas watching stuff go by and pulling out bad stuff.

You can work in a lab in the brewery though, that coat might come in handy. Although, the guy I saw in the lab at XXXX was in stubbies and a t-shirt, so lab coats might be a bit too classy.

SWMBO's Dad owns a brewery.

Oh, wait - no, that's a Kevin Bloody Wilson song.

SWMBO's Dad runs a meth lab.

That's very funny. I now have spilt coffee everywhere!

When I was at high school we went on a tour of the Scottish & Newcastle Brewery in the days when such things were not politically incorrect (we also toured a sawmill, light bulb factory, sewage farm yada) and there were two completely naked middle aged men inside what I now realise was a giant mash tun, cleaning it out. Giggles all round, they didn't G.A.F. :lol:

I produce drugs in my garage

View attachment 42260

I have to get myself a lab coat before next brewday... funny stuff.

when i set up for a brew day i usually have a couple of erlenmeyers, the brewing salts, the koppafloc, the scales, various cleaners and spray bottles all layed out... it makes sense i should be wearing a lab coat!!

As for cleaning, on REAL big scales (like XXXX, Tooheys, etc), they use caustic acid to flush out and clean their tanks. It's all run by computers. I think the busiest place is the bottling line where they usually have people at all different areas watching stuff go by and pulling out bad

And yet I manage to still spend significant amounts of time hosing, sweeping, scraping, scrubbing, mopping, vacuuming - and in an extra special present for me.. Yesterday morning at 5:30am I was handed a shovel and pointed towards about 2 tons of spent grain that failed to "automatically" go where it was supposed to, instead of onto the damn floor.

And breweries don't come much bigger than the one where I work.

You will scrub, have no doubt.

And yet I manage to still spend significant amounts of time hosing, sweeping, scraping, scrubbing, mopping, vacuuming - and in an extra special present for me.. Yesterday morning at 5:30am I was handed a shovel and pointed towards about 2 tons of spent grain that failed to "automatically" go where it was supposed to, instead of onto the damn floor.

And breweries don't come much bigger than the one where I work.

You will scrub, have no doubt.
That sounds like it sucks haha. So much for automation.

Back