What Yeast to use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axl100

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know this has probably came up a million times but I want to know what yeast to use so my cider does not come out dry as.

Cheers.

Can't. Yeast will eat all the simple sugars. Option 1: use artificial sweeteners. Option 2: back sweeten in the glass / in the keg Option 3: pasteurise after bottling, before FG - be careful and do your research if you choose this one.

lael said:
Can't. Yeast will eat all the simple sugars. Option 1: use artificial sweeteners. Option 2: back sweeten in the glass / in the keg Option 3: pasteurise after bottling, before FG - be careful and do your research if you choose this one.
Thanks Iael,

I have made a couple of ciders and use the yeast that comes with the kit. I ferment it then keg and gas it. It sits there for a couple of weeks extra. I though if I change the yeast it wont be dry as.

From a little reading here, adding some unfermentable sugars to the brew will help up the sweetness.
Pear juice is one such addition.
I have added in 1L of pear juice to my last 20L batch to see how much difference it makes.
Also it seems using yeast "71B" helps in the conversion of any Malic Acid, which can give a thicker mouthfeel and "feel" less dry. I have some of that on order for my next batch.
Also being new to cider brewing, these are questions I've been hunting for answers on myself. Especially as I'm not a fan of adding artificial sweetner at all.

mutaneer is right - I forgot about pear juice - which I do use - and would like to get some of the 71B. I think Airgeard reports it leaves more apple flavour as well... which is a definite plus. Where did you get yours Mutaneer? I pastuerised my last batch in my brau clone.

I ordered the yeast from www.ibrew.com.au

There may be cheaper places to get it, i don;t know. But i think it was only $25 for 100g bag.
Compared with buying good cider, it's all very cheap.

Mutaneer said:
From a little reading here, adding some unfermentable sugars to the brew will help up the sweetness.
Pear juice is one such addition.
I have added in 1L of pear juice to my last 20L batch to see how much difference it makes.
Also it seems using yeast "71B" helps in the conversion of any Malic Acid, which can give a thicker mouthfeel and "feel" less dry. I have some of that on order for my next batch.
Also being new to cider brewing, these are questions I've been hunting for answers on myself. Especially as I'm not a fan of adding artificial sweetner at all.
pear juice , because of the same sort of sugars as apple juice, will still ferment

lactose does the trick

pear juice is not as fermentable as apple juice and will leave some residual sugar.

I find lactose isn't the best option. I find there is a fine line between taking the harsh dry taste out and using too much and having some residual lactose taste. My last few brews I have been using a combination of lactose and supermarket sweeteners (stevia and splenda etc).
My last brew I used 200g of stevia in 23L of cider. Was very nice. 5 of those 23L was pear juice though.

Back