What Would You Call This?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers, I've got big expectations of this baby.

27 litres

4kg LDME
1kg dextrose

500g Carafa III
250g Carabohemian
240g Pale Chocolate
130g Roast Barley

41g Galaxy @ 60mins
27g Magnum @ 30 mins
35g D.Saaz @ 5 mins
32g Styrians Goldings tossed in the wort @ flameout

4 litre starter of WY1084 pitched and fermenting @ 22 degrees C

I'm not usually lost for words but what would you call it and what style catagory does it fall under?

Cheers,
Boagsy

Anything you like ... it can't hear you :huh:

Ok, sounds a bit like a Black IPA if you base it on the IBU, ABV and EBC :)

G'day Brewers, I've got big expectations of this baby.

27 litres

4kg LDME
1kg dextrose

500g Carafa III
250g Carabohemian
240g Pale Chocolate
130g Roast Barley

41g Galaxy @ 60mins
27g Magnum @ 30 mins
35g D.Saaz @ 5 mins
32g Styrians Goldings tossed in the wort @ flameout

4 litre starter of WY1084 pitched and fermenting @ 22 degrees C

I'm not usually lost for words but what would you call it and what style catagory does it fall under?

Cheers,
Boagsy

only guessing the gravity i'd say a robust porter. ;)

It's big and black...so I'd call it Sir

Anything you like ... it can't hear you :huh:

Ok, sounds a bit like a Black IPA if you base it on the IBU, ABV and EBC :)

Not on taste though. The "Black IPA" or "Cascadian Dark Ale" doesn't have roasty flavours. Hence Carafa Special III or cinamar being the main colouring agent. It literally is just an IPA with colour.

I'd say American Stout

It was going to be a Russian Imperial Stout to start with but it would be at the lower end of the scale if it was to fit in that category.
Screwy thought my original recipe was more of an Imperial Brown Porter which may be more fitting but I tweaked it a little.
I would call it an American Stout if it had more American hops and American yeast.
My malt boiled over so I lost a gravity point or two but it's still gonna be well over 8% alc which puts it out of the Robust Porter category. Maybe Imperial Robust Porter? Would of been a Baltic Porter if I used a lager yeast or fermented it at low temps with an ale yeast but 22 degrees C with 1084 puts that one out too. According to the guidelines a Baltic Porter can be described as an Imperial Porter but heavily hopped or roasty versions should be put in the Imperial Stout or Speciality Beers category. It does fit into the Imperial Stout category as far as OG and IBU's are concerned, I reckon the EBC's would be in the ball park as well.
I'm not sure what my OG was because I took my hydro sample before I added the starter and my hydrometer is far from accurate. I would say between 1.077 and 1.080 and it will be interesting to see what it finishes at. I'm hoping it is not going to finish too high, an Imperial Dry Stout maybe. From the aroma when I open the fermentation fridge it's going to be 'Sir Drinkalot' when it's done and ready.

Latest posts

Back