What Will Adding 10 G Por @0mins Do To Blonde With Saaz Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
making a blonde with saaz hops 60 mins and saaz @ 15 mins, what will adding 10 grm POR @0 mins do,
only reason is i thought i would just experiment a bit, like this brew but interested in doing something just a bit different,

POR are the only ones i have in my fridge so cant add anything else, is it worth doing or will it change the taste profile too much.

i am mashing at the moment.
fergi

making a blonde with saaz hops 60 mins and saaz @ 15 mins, what will adding 10 grm POR @0 mins do,
only reason is i thought i would just experiment a bit, like this brew but interested in doing something just a bit different,

POR are the only ones i have in my fridge so cant add anything else, is it worth doing or will it change the taste profile too much.

i am mashing at the moment.
fergi

personally i wouldnt do it, saaz is a beautiful hop on its own, and works well in additions such as what you have planned, i.e. 60 and 15 mins

you will change the flavour of your beer, and it depends if you want to do this

make the same beer another time using por instead of the saaz and see if you prefer that one,

this will help you experiment and see how different hops taste

personally i wouldnt do it, saaz is a beautiful hop on its own, and works well in additions such as what you have planned, i.e. 60 and 15 mins

you will change the flavour of your beer, and it depends if you want to do this

make the same beer another time using por instead of the saaz and see if you prefer that one,

this will help you experiment and see how different hops taste

yes i think you are right, i guess i was just standing around waiting for mash and then a silly idea comes into my head.
i will leave it , i do like por hops though, "coopers pale ale"

fergi

Yeah saaz and por I wouldnt first think of matching. Glaf to see ur keaving it alone.

Aince u like por look at the pride of mt torrens link in my sig. Its a great beer using por.

I can see it making more sense to bitter with POR and use the saaz for flavour and aroma, or no POR at all. Is there any specific reason you were thinking of using POR aswell? Just to get rid of some?

:eek: Fergi...... Nooooo.... :D
With this recipe the single hop variety works really well and 15 minutes is the latest I would go.
You could change the hop variety to Tettnang, Spalt, Hallertau, Mt Hood, Vanguard and plenty of others. Have brewed it with Aust. Summer and Southern Saaz flowers with good result.
Personally wouldn't go POR in it, not even for bittering.
Cheers
Nige

no i am not touching it, sitting here drinking my blonde while a nice rolling boil takes place in the kettle, this is a nice thirst quencher, no need to touch it,

just found some POR in my freezer so thought might try some at the end of the boil but i will leave it, "mad moment".
fergi

I can't think of a single commercial beer with PoR added later than 60 minutes.

Pretty sure there's a reason for this.

On a side note. Coopers bitter with POR and use saaz as an aroma hop in their Mild Ale only. Cpa only uses por for bittering. Found this out on a coopers tour the other day. (i knew about the pale)but the usage of saaz was a bit of a surprise

On a side note. Coopers bitter with POR and use saaz as an aroma hop in their Mild Ale only. Cpa only uses por for bittering. Found this out on a coopers tour the other day. (i knew about the pale)but the usage of saaz was a bit of a surprise

Hey ben, whats are the flavour/aroma hops on the pale ale, if you were privy to that info..

Hey mate,
No flavour/aroma hops at all. POR for bittering only.

I have an AG recipe from a good mate which is bloody close
4.55kg BB pale
.5kg wheat
.1 dark crystal
30g POR @ 60

Recultured coopers yeast if you can, last time i used us05 whicb was still pretty bloody good.

Also found out the dark ale, and pale ale use the same grain/hop bill... I think he said the only.difference was the dark had its grains toasted...

Latest posts

Back