What Type Of Yeast Is In Coopers Astralian Pale Ale ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applecracle

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wonder what sort of yeast is in the australian pale ale kit from coopers?

if you look at the attached picture the Pale Ae yeast on the left has a PA next to the expirey. The two middle yeast packets are from a Cerveza (marked MC after the date) which I have been told are an Ale/Lager mixture and the one on the right is from a standard coopers bitter tin which I would assume to be that maui brew yeast and has no markings after the date

Any Idea's if the PA is differant ?

Regards
Applecracle :beerbang:

yeasties.jpg

hi
i've recently noticed that as well
i cannot tell you about the pale ale yeast...but the pilsner kit has one marked "P" after the number and is a true lager yeast ...so to is the barvaria i believe ..just did one but didn't look to see what code was on the back...

might be worthwhile e-mailing coopers and asking...i tend to use us56 for my pale ales these days and have no complaints with the us56 but don't know if theres that much wrong with the coopers pa yeast to tell you the truth ...might bung down another two soon side by side...same fermenting fridge and recipe but do
one with coopers yeast and one with us56 to see if theres much difference ..(i'd say bugger all with my gutter palate... ;) )
if you come across an answer please post the findings as i'd be interested in them
cheers simpletotoro

Funny you ask this - my work colleage who sits next to make makes the coopes lager - white can for years - says its a lager - i tell him its an ale as that is the yeast used. Expalin the difference - lager bottom fermented at cooler temps while Ale is top fermentered/cropping at 18-24degrees.

I told him the yeast is an Ale yest in the kit not a lager yeast. He did not believe me - so i rang up "budgie" aka Paul Burge - Coopers Homebrew manager (ex RAAFIE from where i know him) and got the low down from him and confirmed what i knew.
- Coopers Lager White Can Ale Yeast.
- Coopers Pilsner and Bavarian lager is a genuine lager Yeast.
- Coopers Heritage Lager is a hybrid Ale/lager Yeast
- Coopers pale Ale Green Can is a second cousin to the yeast used in Coopers Pale Ale - not the same as they have problems drying the yeast and keeping it well enough to bring back to life consistently. The yeast in the bottles of pale ale are the same yeast they brew with - so build up from the bottle.

hope this helps

Interestingly, looking at the date format stamped onto the yeast packets (which I'm assuming is DDDYY format, where DDD is the day number within the year and YY is the last two digits of they year), I'm wondering if the date is a "manufactured on" date or an "expiry" date. If it's the latter, I'd suggest you ditch the yeast and use some SAFAle....

Cheers,
Michael.

From memory dddyy(day of year) along with wwyy(week of year) formats which aren't illustrated as use by dates normally designate production date, not expiry.

most of my kit yeast packs are destined to be chucked into the boil up, apart from this "cousin" of the coppers APA yeast. when the weather warms up I might give this stuff a try.

Thank you very much GMK for that great info.

Applecracle

Can someone explain or direct me to the post which explains how to build up a coopers yeast from a bottle.. i've got an article by Laurie Strachan from a ten year old home brew mag but i've tried it several times with no action whatsoever (ie leave sediment, boil a small amount of water and extract, pour in the bottle, put a rubber stopper and airlock and wait for bubbling).

Can someone explain or direct me to the post which explains how to build up a coopers yeast from a bottle.. i've got an article by Laurie Strachan from a ten year old home brew mag but i've tried it several times with no action whatsoever (ie leave sediment, boil a small amount of water and extract, pour in the bottle, put a rubber stopper and airlock and wait for bubbling).

Here's a link with instructions:
http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=11

Maybe your extract is too hot when added and kills the yeast?

I did my first one last week and it took 4 days at room temperature to show endogenous bubbling, even then it was quite mild. Drop the litre into a Summer Ale and the krausen basically hit the roof of the fermenter!

EDIT: OM39A below is quite right. I was extremely vigourous shaking mine and I wasn't going to be left wondering.

make sure that you shake the absolute hell out of it quite regularly to airate the yeast to help reproduction. boiling the water will drive most of the oxygen out of it, making life hard for the poor little buggers.

Back