What To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojai

Reaction score
Hey guys, I made my first AG today, it all went well I thought, I was at this point where dinner was hot on the table and my brother was calling for me. I had just cooled the wort and I was pouring it into my fermenter, it only came up to 15L so, without taking a gravity reading i added water...

Stupid me. When i did get around to taking the gravity reading, after a delicious Japanese curry, it was only at 1024, the recipe states it should be at 1047.

Now, I'm not an alcohol fiend so I don't reallycare too much about that. But, as I understand it, if the beer doesn't have anything to ferment the flavour won't develop. I don't want a beer that ends up watery like corona... Should I add 1.5kg of malt extract? And if so, which one? I was thinking wheat.

Also, apologies, I posted this on the recipe discussion too, but couldn't delete that post. Cheers for any help. - Joseph,

Depends on the style of beer as whether to add wheat malt or not. I'd just add the 1.5kg of malt extract.

It could be that the heavier parts of your wort had sunk to the bottom.
I guess you didn't take a preboil reading? So you don't know your mash effiency?

The recipe says 70% brewhouse effiency. I'm sceptical that you only got 35%.

I'd relax and have a homebrew if it were me!

Well... Since it's my first AG and I never attempted extract brewing before I added the wheat malt extract, and now the SG is 1044. I hope it turns out, I'm prepared for it to be a big lesson though, an expensive lesson.

Which brings me to my next question, if by any luck someone from Adelaide reads this, what is the best way to buy grain? And is there a homebrew club around me? I live near the ABC building, Broadview.

I ordered everything I needed except the whirfloc (and I used dried yeast, not liquid) from CraftBrewer (Ross). And it all cost me around $50.00, which is twice what I'd normally spend on a K&K, yet last night I read AG is cheaper :S (I could have gotten a fresh wort kit for that and maybe made some nice beer :D)

$50 ?!!?! ouch!

not sure how it ended up that much, unless it was the postage that was the killer ... ?

personally i would get my base grains from someone local, and order specialty hops/grains etc from ross, that you couldnt source at your local hbs, it will certainly cut down on the postage costs.

no affliiation etc. but i have been getting the majority of my ingredients from beerbelly lately. excellent prices/service/range etc, and considering your location, he is only 5 minutes away (dudley park).

beerbelly website

hth
j

Yeah it was largely postage, roughly $35 on grains, yeast and hops and a bit under $15 on post, which is pretty cheap considering it was about 5kg and Ross couriered it without charging extra. But expensive as a proportion of the total... As it was my first AG I was keen to get under way. Should have asked about Adelaide suppliers first.

The beer is bubbling away now, I hope the extract doesn't give it too much of that canned taste that KK has.

Cheers for all your help guys! I'll swing by beer belly sometime when i'm ready to do my next brew:)

I get alot of my stuff form beer belly too always a good deal!!

Yeah it was largely postage, roughly $35 on grains, yeast and hops and a bit under $15 on post, which is pretty cheap considering it was about 5kg and Ross couriered it without charging extra. But expensive as a proportion of the total... As it was my first AG I was keen to get under way. Should have asked about Adelaide suppliers first.

The beer is bubbling away now, I hope the extract doesn't give it too much of that canned taste that KK has.

Cheers for all your help guys! I'll swing by beer belly sometime when i'm ready to do my next brew:)

Do as I did and decide what beer you prefer to make first and foremost. In my case I love the taste of APA. I went and bought a 25kg bag of ale malt and used that as my base grain. You should be able to save a bit on that at the start by buying in bulk. As for hops I buy 500gms at a time. Because I like APA's I bought Cascade, Amarillo and a bittering hop such as Northern Brewer or Simcoe.

I won't give Beerbelly to much of a plug because everyone else is.

BYB

Which brings me to my next question, if by any luck someone from Adelaide reads this, what is the best way to buy grain? And is there a homebrew club around me? I live near the ABC building, Broadview.
There aren't really any clubs around Adelaide. Just lots of groups that get together informally. There is a club that gmk is involved with in the Barossa but that would be a bit of a drive. People are having brew days all the time so keep an eye out on the forums.

As far as getting ingredients head down to Beer Belly, it's not far from your place. Brewmaker at Holden Hill is also a good option. Darren does bulk buys of grain from time to time so keep your eye out for those.

Back