What to do with saison grain bill without saison yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradmccoy

Reaction score
Help needed!

I had planned to make a saison today but I forgot to inlcude yeast in my order. The LHBS is hopeless. They don't stock saison yeast (the guy working there didn't even know what I was talking about).

So I've got the following grain to use:
4.5kg Pilsner 64%
1.3kg Pale malt 19%
1kg Wheat 14%

200g Special B 3%

I was originally going to hop it with Styrian.

What should I do with it now? I've got some Ella and Citra. And US-05. So am thinking of just making an ale with that. Any thoughts on whether these hops go well together? In what quantities?

Thanks
Brad.

I see you are in Brisbane..
Cant you get to Craftbrewer ? Still open till 1ish
Otherwise.. I'd be trying the Ella and Citra with the US-05 for a Blonde Ale

Hope this helps
Cheers

Yeah but I'm on the westside. Probably looking at about 35min drive each way. Unfortunately I don't have the time for it.

Ever used Ella and Citra together?

Should I just stick with Styrian? Even though I'm not making a saison?

Have been reading more about these hops. Looks like lots of late and dry additions work well. I've got some old bits and pieces of other hops that are a bit old that I'll use for 60min bittering. I've never really used older hops before. They'er vac-sealed packs that have been opened a few months ago - these will still be right for bittering?

bradmccoy said:
Help needed!

I had planned to make a saison today but I forgot to inlcude yeast in my order. The LHBS is hopeless. They don't stock saison yeast (the guy working there didn't even know what I was talking about).

So I've got the following grain to use:
4.5kg Pilsner 64%
1.3kg Pale malt 19%
1kg Wheat 14%

200g Special B 3%

I was originally going to hop it with Styrian.

What should I do with it now? I've got some Ella and Citra. And US-05. So am thinking of just making an ale with that. Any thoughts on whether these hops go well together? In what quantities?

Thanks
Brad.
i reckon drop out some of the wheat and special B and you could do a lovely all-citra pale ale. use your pils and pale malt to about 94%, wheat to 5% and special b perhaps 1%. citra for all hop additions to about 30-40IBU and you've got a winner.

Do it with 05 low.

Will still be a refreshing summer ale. Just not a saison.

I'd drop the spec B personally but i wouldn't use it in a saison anyway.

You might not get target bitterness numbers but so what!!!

Maybe leave the special b out if you are doing a citra-ish ale. Don't think it'd add too much... Manticle seemed to be a big special b fan, he might chirp in if he sees this.

Edit: beaten by the devil

The grain is all mixed together in one bag.

I know special B is not a typical inclusion for a saison, but I've been wanting to try it to see how it goes with the spiciness of saison yeast.

practicalfool said:
You might not get target bitterness numbers but so what!!!

Maybe leave the special b out if you are doing a citra-ish ale. Don't think it'd add too much... Manticle seemed to be a big special b fan, he might chirp in if he sees this.
I like it in a belgian dubbel or dark strong. Nice malt but very specific for me.

I think you're on the right track. Something in the Golden Ale - APA - IPA range is probably your best bet, especially given the hops and yeast you've got. I've never used an Ella and Citra combination but I have used Ella and Galaxy and they worked together nicely. I'm sure Ella and Citra will be fine.

They might have lost something since they've been opened but it won't be enough to be a problem for bittering.

The Citra and Ella are fresh (unopened vac seal). I've got a bunch of other hops - Palisade, Centennial, that are older and I figured I could use at 60min to add bitterness but not much flavour. That way I could use up all the citra and ella with late and dry additions (have abuot 60g of each).

I'd use the grain bill as is to around OG 1050 with Citra @ 30 mins 10mins and 5 mins and at whirlpool to around 30 to 35 ibu's and ferment with US05. I wouldn't use Citra at 60 mins. Nice APA...

manticle said:
Or do a US pale with citra and styrians. Styrians play beautifully in an apa.
This. I have tried styrians and cascade and they work beautifully together. I reckon citra also would be great.

Back