What to do to offset a huge roasted malt bill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvbrewin

Reaction score
i stuffed up a bit with my latest stout in adding way too much carafa 3 and choc malt in the grain bill
Heres the recipie.

45L Batch

7kg Maris otter
0.4kg caramel crystal 80
0.4kg Carafa 3
0.4kg Choc Malt
0.3kg Rolled oats

Its in the fermenter now so im just wondering if it happens to be to roasty and harsh to taste what can i do to offset this??
Vanilla bean?
I have some Cacao Nibs would they help or make it worse.
Maybe add some lactose after ferment is done??

Happy to provide more info on the recipie if needed. hope it turns out ok im sure it will be drinkable lol

I'm not the most experienced brewer, but that doesn't look like a "huge" roasted malt bill to me.

5% Choc Malt.
5% Carafa III.
5% Crystal M.

It'll prob be dark as hell, and fairly roasty, but Carafa is dehusked; so it shouldn't impart the harsh bitterness and intense-roastiness that Roast Barley would.

ahh ok then.
Well as you probably tell i am a novice at this.

I tried a bit out of the fermenter and its fairly full on but on the other hand its only been in the fermenter for 24hrs. I would expect from my experience that the flavours will mellow over time.

Appreciate the reply

I don't normally make stouts that small but that malt bill looks fine. For most of my imperial stouts I use about 20% black coloured malt (they take a while to smooth out though). You've got 10% there and half of that is is pretty smooth.

Agreed. I have used almost a kilo each of chock and roast barley in imperial stout.

To smooth out the dark mats you need carbonates in your water profile.

What you have put in will be fine.

Kranky said:
I don't normally make stouts that small but that malt bill looks fine. For most of my imperial stouts I use about 20% black coloured malt (they take a while to smooth out though). You've got 10% there and half of that is is pretty smooth.

Back