How Do These Recipes Look?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better to caramelise a portion of total runnings. I'm not sure why but my experience of caramelising first runnings seems to affect head retention. Could just be my experience but I did get a suggestion from other, more experienced brewers that total runnings was a better option for that reason.

Agree on the flavour though - did an ESB this arvo and nearly burnt mine. Saved it just in time - tasted delicious

Have you tried Holgate ESB? Thats my current direction. Very sweet, malt forward.

Tried a while back. Memory is hazy but most holgate beers are pretty good to my palate. Hargreaves hill is also a good Australian version.

However for English bitters you would be hard pressed to find better than actual UK versions.

Fullers ESB, Young's special london ale (fresh) or Sam Smith's India Pale and Nut Brown* are good ones that spring to mind. Fresh Old Speckled Hen and Black Sheep ale are also worth a mention.

India Pale is obviously an English IPA and Nut brown is a brown ale but both fit in the bitter category and if you imagine a blend of the two - delicious.

Back