what to do during winter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
My hop rhizomes had been harvested and today after leaving the vines on after harvest they finally got cut down. The rhizomes now have the stems coming out of the ground, what do i do during winter, will they just sprout again come spring??

yep, they are pretty hardy.. just leave them as is.. just mulch them in winter so the compost breaks down and is available come spring

Thanks yob. I have some decent mulch up the back that will do nicely.

Pratty1 I'm glad to hear you got some hops because neither me (sydney) or my brother (Canberra) got anything this year...very disappointing.
Yeah just chop them to the ground and when their ready they'll start all over again

I've got a nice Chinook bine. Got probably 50gm dried hop cones off it this year.

Cut it off at about 600m from the ground, pick all the decent cones off it.

DON'T burn the leftover vines and leaves. They smell a lot like other home grown weeds when burnt.

Once they are finished flowering and starting to die back cut them down to ground level, as yob says put a layer of mulch over the top,another tip is at the start of spring put some black plastic over the top and get the soil heating up, that will give them a great start. (works a treat on beans also)

I also managed to get my first harvest of POR and plan to use it in my next brew. I couldn't help to notice though when I was cutting down my bines there was a large infestation on the base of some of the bines and the bines had also start to wither away in some areas. Does anyone know the best way to prevent this? ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1398820935.299846.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1398820864.096555.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1398820864.096555.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 29
Any problem with leaving the bines up? I have complex rigging and I'd rather just leave it up all winter. Maybe I will just cut them and leave them on the rigging.

Shanta next year keep an eye out for any infestations and give them a spray of garlic, chilli and pyrethrum.

Mr No Tip, as long as they aren't harbouring any diseases, should be O/k.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Any problem with leaving the bines up? I have complex rigging and I'd rather just leave it up all winter. Maybe I will just cut them and leave them on the rigging.
Not as far as i know, infact in the past i have left the bines up and used them as next years string for the next bines to grow up.

Latest posts

Back