What to buy next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stouter said:
I'll cross the road to the shops, past all that deadly traffic 'in a day or two' then hey?
Darting out at night in front of cars on the highway all dressed in black died your hair black (if need be wrap yourself in electrical tape)

Or do you take measures to avoid risks on the road :p

damoninja said:
As I said as far as I know there aren't any documented cases which have been attributed to botulinum contamination of wort. Naturally, you might expect this to be the case with the amount of actual wort that is prepared with this method...

Pretty well taken for granted, but we do a lot day to day to reduce risks of this sort of thing happening in food. The risk is small, but we still avoid it... ah why bother?

The risk is low but it doesn't mean it's not there
The impact of the risk if it comes to fruition makes it worth avoiding

There's a simple way to avoid the risk - pitch in a day or two...
I do pitch within a day or two but that is more to do with getting my beer fermenting.

I'd like to see someone measure the growth of botulism spores in properly no-chilled wort rather than endlessly speculate.

If you're after a 3 vessel system I'm not sure why you're ruling all electric. Part of the journey for me was building the entire system. I started out trying to save cash re-using things I had but eventually worked out I should have spent the dosh in the first place. Not all electrical stuff WILL fail in your lifetime so don't be dissuaded from a perfectly suitable brewing method. I prefer electricity as it's quiet, compact and doesn't run out. Others prefer gas because you can heat anything with it and there are no cables to worry about.
If you're after 3V consider RIMS or HERMS. This will involve at least one pump, numerous fittings and a heating element. Others have used a gas fired HEx and a BCS or Arduino controller but it's rare. At the end of the day the system will be entirely 'yours' which brings a certain level of satisfaction that wives don't seem to be able to relate to.

manticle said:
I do pitch within a day or two but that is more to do with getting my beer fermenting.

I'd like to see someone measure the growth of botulism spores in properly no-chilled wort rather than endlessly speculate.
I'd absolutely like to see it too, both under inoculation and not, both no-chilled and chilled, various pH, hop levels, with and without presence of CO2 and ethanol, all over various growth periods...

Someone's bound to want to do it :)

I really would love to be proven wrong as it'd be both enlightening and enabling at the same time.

Sorry you can have the topic back now :p

damoninja said:
Darting out at night in front of cars on the highway all dressed in black died your hair black (if need be wrap yourself in electrical tape)

Or do you take measures to avoid risks on the road :p
Yes, sometimes I'll wear pants.

As an added insurance I may from time to time retract my parasol.

I'd be far happier just to firstly see it in any No-Chill wort, then knock yourself out on the rest.

TheWiggman said:
If you're after a 3 vessel system I'm not sure why you're ruling all electric. Part of the journey for me was building the entire system. I started out trying to save cash re-using things I had but eventually worked out I should have spent the dosh in the first place. Not all electrical stuff WILL fail in your lifetime so don't be dissuaded from a perfectly suitable brewing method. I prefer electricity as it's quiet, compact and doesn't run out. Others prefer gas because you can heat anything with it and there are no cables to worry about.
If you're after 3V consider RIMS or HERMS. This will involve at least one pump, numerous fittings and a heating element. Others have used a gas fired HEx and a BCS or Arduino controller but it's rare. At the end of the day the system will be entirely 'yours' which brings a certain level of satisfaction that wives don't seem to be able to relate to.
I don't think he was ruling out electric, just hesitating at the electronic nature of the control of the out-of-the-box systems like grainfather or robo brew. Though I'm sure with those systems and a little handy work even if the controller did break you could hotwire it so it still worked manually.

damoninja said:
I'd absolutely like to see it too, both under inoculation and not, both no-chilled and chilled, various pH, hop levels, with and without presence of CO2 and ethanol, all over various growth periods...

Someone's bound to want to do it :)

I really would love to be proven wrong as it'd be both enlightening and enabling at the same time.

Sorry you can have the topic back now :p
Here,

Hops fucks bots

https://www.google.com.au/patents/US6251461

An important consideration to include with your assertions.

Beer is intrinsically safe.

Q.E.D.

[emoji225]

Zorco said:
Here,

Hops fucks bots

https://www.google.com.au/patents/US6251461

An important consideration to include with your assertions.

Beer is intrinsically safe.

Q.E.D.

[emoji225]
Good stuff! How'd you manage to dig that up? I googled earlier but mustn't have googled right. Will have to keep patents in mind didn't even realise it was a Google thing.

Would be good to see the long term affects but after 7 days inhibited growth but it's likely there was no point doing it any longer

Bookmarked for future reference :D :D

A real shame that google shopping is on the drop down and not the world's best alternative, Google Scholar.

Please bookmark mate!

For consuming knowledge, instead of things we don't need.

Edit: I found a paper that referenced this patent. Then used google patents to get the details.

ok enough on botulism and back to the topic of what gear he should buy next.
its been done to death.

Pataka said:
and (eventually) wort chiller. I want to cool my brew faster than I am doing at the moment, and after recently reading an article about the risks of botulism with no-chill brewing,
Well, Barls' little joke of botulism being done to death wasn't lost on me....

tee hee hee

The wort chiller project is an excellent one and not super costly. I made the parallel counterflow chiller using all copper pieces. The tiny skill up I needed was to silver solder the joins and I got to buy a MAP torch. But I must confess that it needs a hell of a lot of heating to achieving wicking and an oxy kit is better. If I build again I'll do it at my mate's workshop.

Below is a couple of examples that inspired me which do not need any welding at all!

Paul's counterflow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVf-lTFpR2c

Paul's parallel counterflow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhWdLYlpGf4

Just go all out and get this, you'll never need to upgrade, down sides, you may need more friends, and said purchase may end in divorce.

Back