What to buy next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pataka

Reaction score
I made the switch to all grain brewing using BIAB earlier this year, and have since done three batches. That's been enough to suss out the areas in which my system could improve.

I only have a 15L brew pot. That means my batch size is limited. That's not a huge issue in and of itself, but it is when you consider I can't really brew big beers without affecting the mash efficiency, and also, having less water means I'm losing temperature faster when mashing.

My mash tun is the brew pot with blankets wrapped around it. I'm having real issues holding mash temp, so need something better.

I'd also like a way to cool my wort down quickly.

I did my first brew session on a 3 vessel system on the weekend. It was a 3-vessel, 3-burner setup with lines between each vessel, thermometers in each, plus counterflow chiller. It was the largest batch I've ever brewed, and yet pouring straight from the boil kettle into the fermenter at pitching temp made me realise just how different brewing can be when you've got the right gear.

So I've decided I need to improve my setup. I trialed all grain through BIAB as a cheap way of working out whether it was for me or not. Yes, it is for me. Problem solved.

What I decided today is I really need three things: A larger pot (something that can hold enough to brew a 5 gallon batch), a mash tun capable of holding the temp better, and some kind of wort chiller. I could do this with a large boil kettle and continue BIAB, but would also need a dedicated mash tun (I was thinking of the chilly bin variety).

But then I looked at prices of brew pots and wort chillers and really, I'm not that far off a RoboBrew, which includes everything I need.

Does anyone have any advice for me either way, or perhaps can suggest something completely out of leftfield?

Get a decent burner, a 60-70L stainless pot (worth the outlay for a good one) and some suitable material for a brew-in-a-bag bag.

Don't worry about the wort chiller. Go with no chill. You can still make amazing hop forward beers with cube and dry hopping.

For about 300 clams you'll have yourself a set-up that will allow you to brew bigger volumes, with a minimum of fuss.

JD

Not sure if they are any good but I always thought the crab cooker with burner at bcf or reys outdoors would make good biab type rigs.

Mash Tun = 19l big w pot. false bottom, ball valve and kmart yoga mat for insulation
HLT = 19l big w pot and element controlled by STC100
Used Keggle and burner.

I think you could pull that off for under $200

There's a 3v system that will do a full size batch of higher gravity beers. You can add a herms and pumps down the track.

Next - fridge and STC for fermentation temp control

timmi9191 said:
Next - fridge and STC for fermentation temp control
And the list goes on.
I got tuned by the missus yesterday about buying too much kit. I pitched the original purchases of the urn and basic gear to her on the logic that I'd be saving money in the long run. I'm just glad I'm not running my own business 'cos the balance sheet would be looking very similar to the W.A government's right now.
I've saved receipts along the way to work it all out and show her, but this is starting to look like a 5 year plan. :D

Some great ideas here. I'd never thought of using an urn for this, but I see a few stores selling modified units that are suitable.

Fermentation and I are reasonably sorted. My most recent purchase is a fermentation fridge, which I now use with my Inkbird temp controller and heat belt. I'm well down that slope already.

Keep the ideas coming, guys! While I like the urn as an idea, aiming for a 3-vessel system (or similar) does have its appeal as there's less things to fail. That's what scared me somewhat about the Robobrew (and same for the Grainfather) : they are electronic, so will one day fail and render my investment potentially worthless.

I agree about the burner and 70L pot. You can BIAB in it until you can afford a mash tun and a bit later a HLT and HERMS. Or if you can afford it just get it all at once.

mstrelan said:
I agree about the burner and 70L pot. You can BIAB in it until you can afford a mash tun and a bit later a HLT and HERMS. Or if you can afford it just get it all at once.
But, I haven't addressed the root of the problem, which is, how to hold my mash temp.

Go with the 70l pot and BIAB as suggested and get extras as you go.
If you are having trouble holding mash temp, you can do step mashes, with hot water additions to work through your temp range. This will reduce the impact of temp losses.
I'm sure you would have an esky about the place. Put your bag in there to mash, even a shitty esky will holds temps reasonably well.
This very similar to the pattern I took.
Now have Techni-ice mash tun, keggle for boiing, 3 ring burner and immersion chiller.
Still using 19l Big W Stockpots for heating water.

The bigger the mash the better it will hold temps. I did double biab batches for a while ( in a 90l pot), wrapped in a sleeping bag and a doona, and lost about 1 deg over an hour (if I recall correctly).

Youll still lose temps with a bigger batch, but not as much as with your small ones.

JDW81 said:
Don't worry about the wort chiller. Go with no chill. You can still make amazing hop forward beers with cube and dry hopping.

JD
+1 Best thing I've changed lately. Now to finish building my 1V recirc, buy a stir plate, mill, O2 set up......

LAGERFRENZY said:
No eskies over your way bro?
Yeah any old esky will do. First beer I did was in a 25L willow esky

Second one was the same esky but my mash volume was 25L. Queue impending slope.

I had a crappy old 30L esky lying around here which I cleaned up and put to use on my last BIAB batch. I had WAY more temp loss from that than in my first batch, which was simply wrapping the brew pot in blankets. I lost nearly 10 degrees from start to finish (yes, I know!... hence why i'm looking to improve the mash stage). I was only mashing about 15L worth, plus 3kg of grain, mind you.

Why do you think my brew pot needs to be as large as 70L? That seems pretty big to me.

Back in my BIAB days I used a 19L Big W stockpot. Wrapped in a towel, then a yoga mat, then a sleeping bag, all held on with bungee cords. Used to lose 1 or 2 C over 60 to 90 mins. Made sure the mash was well mixed and made sure the lid was covered just as well as the sides. Cheap and simple.

If you're looking at equipment, I'd suggest you work out what you can afford in cash and time, what skills you have or are willing to learn and, perhaps more importantly, what you enjoy about this hobby. There isn't a one size fits all answer, but if you can answer those questions, and dig around here and other places for inspiration, you'll be well on your way to a plan.

Blind Dog said:
Back in my BIAB days I used a 19L Big W stockpot. Wrapped in a towel, then a yoga mat, then a sleeping bag, all held on with bungee cords. Used to lose 1 or 2 C over 60 to 90 mins. Made sure the mash was well mixed and made sure the lid was covered just as well as the sides. Cheap and simple.
I still do this for cheese, that's a lot easier to hold at 32C though over mash temps, but pile on enough insulating mass and you'll be good to go.

Latest posts

Back