What the.......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
I did a double batch that has been kegged for about 2 weeks. One keg turned pale at the end, photographed is the last beer from that keg. Is is supposed to be an amber ale like the glass from the other keg. I suspect that one cube did not have the starsan emptied out and has a higher gravity so was at the bottom of the keg with a different colour. The profile tastes thin as well.

Any thoughts, I've never seen anything like this before.

Cheers KOS

beer colour.jpg

Sounds like your probably right...and sounds like its probably not the best thing to drink either

I remember a BN show with john hersowitz, someone mentioned doing something similar and lawned it, he said that he should have kept it and it would have fermented like a mo fo.. Cant see why it would have a higher FG though, starsan doesnt contribute to gravity.

How much starsan are we talking here?

Is it possible there is some frozen beer inside the keg explaining the colour? Also were the gravity's measured for both cubes and the same?

Cocko said:
Why would you store Starsan in a cube?

Looks very, sanatisy-licious tho!
After using my cubes I'll PBW clean them, rinse with hot water and then put a few Litres of star san from my main star san cube. So all my cubes not in use are ready to go for a brew day simply swish starsan around and tip that into the main starsan cube and fill with wort. I also test with a pH strip to ensure it's still effective starsan, yet to find that it isn't.

citizensnips said:
Sounds like your probably right...and sounds like its probably not the best thing to drink either
Maybe not the best tasting drink but not harmful at all

Cocko said:
Why would you store Starsan in a cube?

Looks very, sanatisy-licious tho!
Why wouldn't you?
15 litres of pre mixed starsan solution is very convenient.

Latest posts

Back