What kit goes with wyeast 1214?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradgc

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing a wiezen fresh wort kit and using wyeast 1214 and I'm going to have a go at washing and repitching the yeast.
Does anyone know of any kits that will go well with this yeast?
I was thinking the Morgans golden sheaf wheat would be a good start

This is going back about 12 years but I used a Golden Sheaf wheat with a couple of cans of Lyle's Golden Syrup, some amber DME and I think a touch of carafa special 1 (a tablespoon or so I think, steeped). Was flippin brilliant. 1214 is a good match.

Adr_0 said:
a couple of cans of Lyle's Golden Syrup
Thanks for the info.
Roughly how many cans, and what size are they?
I think the only golden syrup that we have available is the CSR 500g jar. Would one of these be enough?

Bradgc said:
Thanks for the info.
Roughly how many cans, and what size are they?
I think the only golden syrup that we have available is the CSR 500g jar. Would one of these be enough?
No, definitely do not use the CSR golden syrup. The Lyle's were half a pound from memory, ie about 225g each. Absolutely worthwhile shopping around to get them, and definitely don't use the CSR stuff.

It's available at Coles, 454g cans. Too seems like a lot but not unheard of.

I will dig up the recipe tonight to make sure. Think it was 1kg amber DME, to cans Lyle's and a touch of carafa special steeped... As well as the 1.7/1.8kg Golden Sheaf.

Just wondering out of interest the difference in golden syrup? And why CSR is so bad to use?

The CSR has butter and is basically just burned sugar, butter and a couple of others things. You can ask around but I'm not sure you will get very goodies feedback.

The Lyle's is a true golden invert sugar. Invert syrup is about as close as you will get to candi syrup at Coles.

Back