What Is Your Favourite Summer Beer Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackmc

Reaction score
Hey all, just after some recommendations for a "House Beer" for Summer (All grain recipes). I just bottled 50 bottles of DrSmurto's Golden Ale , which dad and I love, but we need some variety.

I have some issues keeping stuff cold. We don't have a brewing fridge.

I need a "lawnmower beer" - a thirst quencher for hot afternoons :)

What do you guys suggest?

A steam beer is good- simple pale ale grain bill with heaps of Northern Brewer, using Cal Common yeast. I make it every summer.

85% Ale
10% Wheat
5% White sugar.

Mash @65, Aim for 1.052OG

Bitter to 35IBU. Add 1g/litre of your fav hop at flameout. Ferment with your fav ale yeast.

I use Nelson Sauvin often, but switching to Motueka this summer. Easy to brew (I measure the grain with a bucket), quick to ferment and very easy to drink.

I love a classic American pale ale or American Pils for summer.

My APA is very basic, JW Ale and some Carared, Tomahawk for bittering Amarillo and Cascade for aroma. US-05 yeast at 18C works a treat, ferment for 7-10days, then rack and gelatin for clarity.

Superb when it hits 30C+ and the lovely citrus tones really hit the spot.

An APA with nice citrus hops or a nice quaffing English Pale Ale with OG/IBU ratio of about 75% B)

I'm loving this lawmower beer at the mo...

90% Pils
10% Vienna
20gm Southern Cross Flowers, 60min (25IBU)
10gm Southern Cross Flowers, flameout
S189.
Lager for a few weeks. Turns out a beautiful crisp and easy drinker, clean bitterness, very nice subtle aroma.
Mmmmmm, love the Southern Cross - so many brews from one pack!

I'm loving this lawmower beer at the mo...

90% Pils
10% Vienna
20gm Southern Cross Flowers, 60min (25IBU)
10gm Southern Cross Flowers, flameout
S189.
Lager for a few weeks. Turns out a beautiful crisp and easy drinker, clean bitterness, very nice subtle aroma.
Mmmmmm, love the Southern Cross - so many brews from one pack!

Why didn't you brew this and go in the case swap Hutchy

Rook

Why didn't you brew this and go in the case swap Hutchy

Rook
...Wasn't expecting such a good beer to be honest Rook. Will definitely give it a few more brew's this summer - awaiting feedback from the masses over the silly season to rate it as a megaswill replacement. Had VERY positive reviews from a couple of tradies last week...

Thanks for all the responses! Now to choose one...

One other thing - I have a lot of small quantities of various hops. Does anyone do "hop cleanout" brews, and how do they turn out? I'm skeptical :)

Thanks for all the responses! Now to choose one...

One other thing - I have a lot of small quantities of various hops. Does anyone do "hop cleanout" brews, and how do they turn out? I'm skeptical :)
Not knowing how well or how long you've had your hops, but...
I'm of the opinion that if your hops are old, then there's no use brewing at all (some of the old hops I've bought from LHBS in the past have almost ruined otherwise good brews).

If they're not the freshest, better to use them for bittering, as long as you factor in some reduction in %AA due to age. If you're shooting for aroma, fresher is better.

Latest posts

Back