What Is Food Grade Standard?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see how that Tomboulian report is relevant to this at all, or proves anything...

The article suggests some possible taste and odor characteristics that additives can impart on plastics. This article discusses the American standards for water-system plastics. They list rather formidable-looking lists of compounds they have found to have leached from plastics, including HDPE. What it doesn't say is how much leached, is it safe, what kind of HDPE is it (there's just a few!), what conditions it was leached under, and did this plastic exceed standard requirements. Out of all those chemicals, only BPA was mentioned (a known harmful plasticiser) because they had information about it. The key thing to read there is its use as an additive; "a fungicide".

I would highly doubt BPA would still be used as a fungicidal additive knowing it's effects on health. Besides... a fungicide in a HDPE container? I don't think so... much earlier in the water treatment process maybe.

Back