What Has Or What Is Stopping You From Going All Grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only just found this forum, & while i've only done a couple of kits so far. Will definently be trying a partial next with the goal of AG in the future.

As for the question of What has held me back... Knowledge, didn't know how. With a bit more reading on here & a book or two. AG here i come.

Just my 2c

My latest brew my under $20 for 22 ltrs, It's a coopers pale clone by qldandrew

$15 for the grain and $3 for the hops, no bulk buy or milling just aussie grain from Greensborough HB

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.31 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.Grain 94.31 %
0.23 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 5.03 %
0.03 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (110.0 SRM) Grain 0.66 %
26.00 gm Pilgrim [11.30 %] (60 min) Hops 29.0 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Coopers pale Ale Cultured [Starter 1000 mlYeast-Ale

Edit: Total cost to date $20 for 19 ltr pot, $7 for voil, $50 for good set of scales with a 20 year warranty ( brought these recently not at the start)

as people have stated its the equipment cost that restricts some from going AG, but as the post above has shown you can make AG for the average price of a can of goo..even if he used dry yeast its still cheap..i am going shopping on weekend for the pot and get some voile..

Bum's not a troll - he's just a brewing bigot. He believes there is only One True Way in brewing. Coincidentally, it's his way.

Still, I can hardly blame him, what with all those transgender pills - they would make anyone moody.

The point I was making is that fear is one thing that stops people from going all grain, even when the knowledge is available.

Your guide got me into it, but I find that most help I give is to extract or up-and-coming extract brewers, given I live in K&K/Extract land for 12 years.

How I could be called AG elitist when I had a whinge about it last week and have been the target of it (once from my accuser of all persons), floored me. I've repeatedly stated that extract brewing is the ideal cost v time v quality equation. AG is about flexibility of ingredients, particularly malt.

AG Elitist indeed! <--that's sarcasm

Goomba

as people have stated its the equipment cost that restricts some from going AG, but as the post above has shown you can make AG for the average price of a can of goo..even if he used dry yeast its still cheap..i am going shopping on weekend for the pot and get some voile..

Du99, not sure if I told you at the Westgate brewers meeting but don't do what i did and forget to put the bag in....lol

If you need any help with you first batch PM me and I'd be happy to give you a call and give you some tips, I leave the country next Friday though for 3 weeks.

That being said there are heaps of blokes on hear that have more experience than me that are all happy to help.

Great stuff DU99, welcome aboard :beerbang:

Bob

Last night's posts were under the effect of copious amounts of tasty homebrew :S brain did go into overthink mode there, well.... I reread some of it and actually was in the middle of posting something when fell asleep and didn't post this morning.
Yes, manticle probably best summed it up in a one liner early on, AG can cost a lot but doesn't necessarily have to. Damn I get a bit debatative when drunk. Peace :)

AG can cost a lot but doesn't necessarily have to.

Apples to apples - K&K Coopers Lager with 1kg of sugar and the kit yeast is more expensive than the same recipe made with grain.

Sure most AG is more expensive, but an all grain IIPA is not Cascade Spicy Ghost.

If you're talking in value-for-money terms, AG is cheap - I don't particulary enjoy drinking K&K beer anymore.

If you're talking in value-for-money terms, AG is cheap - I don't particulary enjoy drinking K&K beer anymore.

+1 by my way of thinking K&K was very expensive for me... just never could face drinking it... only did 1 K&K before adding bits and trying to improve the flavour. Tipped most of it cause it was horrendous... the only time i was happy with my own homebrew was when it was AG. Prior to that i was making stuff that, in hindsight, was barely drinkable... and certainly not for offering to others.

So by that reasoning AG is cheaper, to me, cause the beer i produce, i'm happy to consume

I was happy doing kits for a bit of fun. I don't drink that much - my main problem is usually getting rid of beer to make space for a new batch. :D I read Oliver and Geoff's for a year or two with the impression that AG was for people who drank too much. Then I saw a reference to BIAB over hear, and I realized that AG fundamentally gives you a degree of choice which kits and extracts do not. I think the quality thing *can* be a bit of a furphy, since it's entirely possible to make excellent beers from a kit.

The main reason I stay with BIAB, and have no plans to get more sophisticated is space. I can make the beers I like; I can explore most of the design space pretty easily. I am content.

T.

I was amazed when I worked out that about 35L of 1070 wort cost about $45 all up. I've spent about $600 on gear recently but I'm pretty happy with what I've got so the only short-mid term expenses in my brewery will be ingredients.

Latest posts

Back