what gadgets do you guys need when you do home brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm not drinking much cafe coffee lately
I'm just finishing up building my own coffee roaster so I can do my own lighter fruitier blends
If you get down to Newy call in at Sprocket, fluidised air bed roaster, been thinking about something similar (smaller), just for fun. Does open up some interesting possibilities in terms of temperature profiles with the option for rapid cooling...
I never got that far down, all i had was a crappy Kogan all in one coffee machine my sisters husband got from kerbside recycling. It wasn't a bad machine just needed a little tlc.

How much of an anti coffee snob i am, i prefer a cup of instant coffee over barista or pod coffee.
Pervert :)
Mark

If you get down to Newy call in at Sprocket, fluidised air bed roaster, been thinking about something similar (smaller), just for fun. Does open up some interesting possibilities in terms of temperature profiles with the option for rapid cooling...

Pervert :)
Mark
I'm building a Coretto (bread machine and heat gun) which is nearly a fluidised air bed roaster but with agitation from the paddle as well. I've mostly finished the data logger for my temps, the sensor shields (MAX31855) I had were dodgy so I'm just waiting for some new ones to come.
On our scale, dumping into a mesh colander with a fan beneath it (lots of people put a bathroom ventilation fan in a bucket) is easier than trying to figure out how to best vent your heat etc, it gets the beans out of a hot environment immediately and cooled within 30 seconds

If you're looking at starting your own roasting soon, Green Bean Coffee Australia has 30% off at the moment for click frenzy, makes it worth having beans posted imho
I did an order from them last night, but a buddy of mine works for another big roaster in Newy and has just told me he can get me a good range of beans for $7 a kilo

All good but a 100mm Pyrex tube with beans floating in hot air as they do their thing is so dam sexy...
Mark

Hi,except temperature controllers,what gadgets do you guys need when you do brewing?inkbird are open to any recommendation:)
Any pictures or links are helpful.
I recently bought an ITC-308 Wifi temp controller. I really like it and being able to adjust the temp and other settings via the Inkbird plus app I find it far easier to use and adjust settings than my ITC-310T-B temp controller. As an added bonus I found the app records a temp trend diagram so you can view the temp history.

Now to the point and next brew gadget I would like would be a thermometer and hydrometer similar to Tilt™ Wireless Hydrometer and Thermometer that could float in the fermenter and send data to the Inkbird plus app to be recorded like the temp trend diagram.

Even better if the ITC-308 Wifi or an upgrade model could be controlled from the Thermometer/Hydrometer as well as retaining the fixed temp probe so wort temp in the fermenter could be monitored with the Wifi float device and ambient/fridge temp could be monitored with the fixed probe.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure at the practicalities of making one, but I would love an off the shelf PID controller that can power up to a 4400w element (20A) with optional circuit for a pump.

@inkbird a pid temperature controller for a bbq smoker. Like the ones that have a blower attached that blows on the charcoals. It looks like you had one available in the USA but I can't find it again

@inkbird

A wifi connected digital hydrometer/thermometer that connects to your wifi temperature controller. To keep temp control automatic.

edit.. Like a tilt or ispindle

Coretto roaster?
Yep, just waiting on some MAX6675 thermocouple amps to get here from an Aussie supplier for my temp logging
I bought 4 MAX31855 boards from Aliexpress only to discover that they use fake/out of spec chips and you just get wild temp readings
No more budget hats/shields from Aliexpress for me (I'll keep buying fake arduinos though...)

A WiFi pressure transducer to measure fermentation pressure would be very useful, even more so if it had solenoid control.

Back