What Do You Use To Stick And Remove Labels On Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
Been mucking around making up some labels for my beer. I've seen some great designs on the site and mine pales into insignifigance in comparison but I'm happy with them and they are easily interchangeable for each different brew.

I plan on printing them on either plain or slighly better A4 paper and sticking them directly to the bottle. I want them to stick but they don't have to be araldited on if you know what I mean. Just something that sticks reasonably well and is easy to remove.

I've heard milk canbe used but apart from that I am clueless.

My questions are:-

What do you use to stick your labels on?

What is the easiest way to remove the old label?

Here's a copy of my first label

med_gallery_7556_294_121871.jpg

Have you got kids? I reckon Clag paste would be ideal for sticking them on, a little more sticky than milk, but should still come off easily in a little water.

Or Perkins paste, which has the additional benefit of being well tasty. :icon_drool2:

Patience is the best label remover. I simply leave the bottles soaking in a bucket/tub of water over a few days and wait for the labels to float away. I then pour the water onto the garden.

A quick burst of artist spray adhesive works well on fixing them to the bottles.

I used to run sheets of envelope labels through my laser printer. I would soak my bottles overnight and the labels that didn't float off by themselves could be rubbed off with fingers and any traces of glue removed with one of those green nylon scourers. These were the "permanent" labels too, I think I used to use the "removable" ones a long time ago which did come off even easier.

I use milk. Just lightly brush the back of the label from small cup of milk, & press onto bottle. comes off easy too. I just print the labels on a mono laser printer (at work :) )

hard to remove labels come off easily with orange oil based sprays

milk or a well watered down mix of pva type glue come off very easily

I also heard milk, but quickly learned you have to use a fair bit. Any of mine that weren't all smudged from the milk just fell off once it dried. the smudgy super wet ones stuck a little better, but only just *shrugs* maybe its the bottles I'm using (lcpa pint bottles)

Milk has worked for me. Just float the label on a shallow saucer of milk, then paste it on the bottle.

Or Perkins paste, which has the additional benefit of being well tasty. :icon_drool2:

?

I had assumed your palate was refined.

PVA is the only tasty glue. The rest are bland (although liquid nails has a sweet tanginess that's reminiscent of some cask conditioned ale I was once served in suffolk).

Milk is glue, wall paper can be food its all weird, you would think the labels would develop mould

Don't you blokes know that with silicone and duct tape you can pretty much do anything??

Label your beer?......Personally I like the no label, or lucky dip method...

Tonight I'll have a amber one, followed by a slightly darker amber one, followed by a not as dark as the slightly darker amber one, but not as light as the amber one followed by a black one...

for getting off the labels i found that napisan removes it real fast.it was sheer coincidence that it happened, just soaked some of my bottles in my fermenter that was soaking and the shit just peeled right off and all the glue dissolved

I've played around with spray adhesive with good results - just make sure you spray the back of the label, not the bottle. If you don't use too much you shouldn't have any trouble removing the labels with a bit of a soak.

Although, for me a simple batch number scribbled onto the crown seal is the easiest solution:

"What will I have tonight? Hmmmm, a number 31 would be nice".

I print small labels and get 30 on less than one sheet of plain A4 paper.
I use Coopers PET bottles and stick the labels on using a glue stick from Coles and use just enough glue to stick the label on.The labels float off during a one hour soak in a bleach solution in a laundry tub during preparation for the next brew.

For case swaps I used to appropriate some of the kids clear gum glue from their school bags.

A dab in each corner holds very well without smudging the label.

Peels off (glue and all) when finished. No feckin around with soaking etc :)

Back