What Do You Think Of This Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
WELL lads
tomorrow is going to be brew day for me and i am doing a blonde i would like your input on this as i think i may have missed some thing?

1 X TIN OF CANADIAN BLONDE GOO
1 X TIN COOPERS WHEAT LME
20 gms CASCADE HOPS IN AT BOIL
20 gms CASCADE HOPS AT END
20 GMS CASCADE HOPS DRY IN FERMENTER

BOIL WHEAT EXTRACT FOR 30 MINS WITH 5 LITRES WATER
START OF BOIL FIRST HOP ADDITION
AFTER 30 MINS BOILD TURN OFF HEAR AND ADD SECOND HOPS
COOL WHEAT WORT TO PITCHING TEMP ADD THIRD HOP ADDITION IN FERMENTOR WITH BLONDE GOO AIRATE AND PICTCH US56 STARTER

FERMENT UNTIL FINISHED PUT INTO SECONDARY AND CC FOR A WEEK KEG UP AND HOLD IN STORE UNTIL NEXT SUMMER.

ANY IDEAS IF THIS WILL BE OK OR ARE MY TIMES AND ADDITIONS UP THE $HIT

OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS THIS IS ALL OF THE ADDITIVES I HAVE FOR IT +300GMS OF DEX.

didnt mean to shout forgot the caps lock was on .

delboy :beer:

When I read the title of this thread I was expecting a picture...

Ditto... feel short changed now :(

mika_lika said:
Ditto... feel short changed now :(
[post="119079"][/post]​

Me too. Neverthesless, I will offer some constructive criticism.

1. I can't believe you typed all that without looking up to see you were in ALL CAPS! :)

2. Do you need to boil the wheat LME? If it's coming straight out of the tin, it should be sterile. Maybe you're boiling it to up the gravity while boiling the hops. In which case, I take back this point.

3. Dry hopping is better done in secondary, where the aroma won't be driven off by the vigorous fermentation activity. So maybe leave the 3rd hop addition until secondary.

4. For safety reasons, it's better to leave your hearing on at all times - do not turn it off after 30 minutes of boiling.

apd said:
[snipity]...Maybe you're boiling it to up the gravity while boiling the hops. [/snipity]
[post="119088"][/post]​

I've heard this a couple of times now, boiling something to up the gravity. Can someone direct me to some info about this. I don't think I understand it.

I thought the gravity was based on how much stuff was in the liquid (more stuff = higher gravity etc). I'm guessing that by boiling something you're condensing it and so you have more stuff in less water, but that's just an uneducated guess....can someone elighten me?

Cheers
Brad

I think the blonde goes much better with a hop like hallertau, instead of the much strongly flavoured cascade.

I did a blonde once with left over hops, which was hallertau, saaz and something else I cant remember. It was nice and tasty.

Brad,

I'll try to find some info and post a link but in the meantime, the short answer is...

Boiling hops in straight water (apparently) doesn't produce as good a result as boiling hops in a wort. It may produce off, grassy flavours/aromas or the utilisation isn't as high or something like that.

Brewing_Brad said:
I've heard this a couple of times now, boiling something to up the gravity. Can someone direct me to some info about this. I don't think I understand it.

I thought the gravity was based on how much stuff was in the liquid (more stuff = higher gravity etc). I'm guessing that by boiling something you're condensing it and so you have more stuff in less water, but that's just an uneducated guess....can someone elighten me?

Cheers
Brad
[post="119090"][/post]​

Uneducated maybe, but spot on :super:

cheers Ross

Ross said:
Uneducated maybe, but spot on :super:
[post="119110"][/post]​

Sweet. I'm smarter than I look. B)

Now, one last question on the topic - before I'm accused of hijacking this here thread - can you give me a circumstance when you'd need to do this? I've been racking my brain to try and come up with one, but my limited experience is getting in the way.

Cheers
:party:
Brad

Brad: it's more for the anal types who simply must hit thier gravity targets. Sometimes to hit a specific gravity for a class of beer for competitions. And some feel it throws the flavours out, especially with hopping.

I'm just grateful for an extra litre or 2 of beer, and don't give a rats arse about the exact gravity, as long as it's in the ballpark.

barfridge said:
I'm just grateful for an extra litre or 2 of beer, and don't give a rats arse about the exact gravity, as long as it's in the ballpark.
[post="119136"][/post]​

I like your style! Since I won't be entering any comps soon, I shall follow your approach :beerbang:

ok better start again as this post was hijacked .

apd thanks for your help and constructive expertise.
barfridge not being anal dont like competitions to much B/S for me
like the idea of your hop suggestion but have to use cascade as do not have what you suggested.

so this is the brew day final undoings :D

1x tin coopers canadian blonde
1x tin thomas coopers wheat malt liquide extract
60 gms cascade

boil wheat malt for ten mins with 30 gms cascade in five liters water to release hop oils for bittering pour into fermenter with tin of blonde goo. ferment to 2 points higher than FG rack to secondary add 30 gms cascade for dry hopping will try and get some (hallertau instead) for this part .
get to FG and cold condition 1 week bulk prime and bottle leave untill next summer.

sounds about right now happy at that simple and easy .

thanks for the input
DELBOY :D

How about this recipe...

The Dumb Blonde
Coopers Canadian Blonde Can
1kg Country Brewer Ultra Brew
12g Goldings Hops

I'm pretty sure that's right, from looking at my notes last night at home.
It's just a variation of a Coopers recipe for Buxom Blonde

I renamed it after I stupidly left the tap on as I was mixing it. Some of the liquid gold was spilt, but it still turned out fan-bloody-tastic! Sweet like a belgian.

mmmmm well lads finished the blonde last night and botteled her up.
i did however change the hop addiditions all i did was add 20 gms to the boil and that was it had a start gravity of 1038 and final at 1008 only cc for four days and botteled last night .had a taste at the end from the dregs and it was a realy nice brew not over hopped and bitter nice aroma very malty and smooth this was only the green beer to cant wait to try a bottel in 4 weeks to check out how she has carbonated.

it was very simple and tryed to keep the brewing conditions at 20 deg c for the primary for the 6 days using a US56 yeast .i used cascade for the hops and a thomas coopers wheat lme 1.5 kgs in the mix with a tin of canadian blonde.
i know it was not like you AGers but it turned out very special. thanks GMK. for your suggestions.

i did however make it up to 24 ltres but the body is still there and the balance even though it was an experiment worked out a treat.

i have been asked to enter it in the Crystel Brook Show up my way this year as one of the brewers in my town came round to see a kits and kilos done .I might do this as i would like some feed back on this dont care much for competitions or trophies but just to get some construtive critisisum .

thanks to all for your suggestions with it .and do you think i should enter it in a comp??

delboy :beer:

barfridge said:
I think the blonde goes much better with a hop like hallertau, instead of the much strongly flavoured cascade.

[post="119093"][/post]​

Totally agree BF !

Here is the one i did yesterday.

90% Joe White ex pilsner
8% Maize(air popped corn)
2 % carapils.
Mash @ 65c

NZ Hallertau organic/ to 25 IBUs @60 min
Tettnang/ 1 gram per litre @ 10 mins
Tettnang / 1/2 gram per litre at flame out.

Pitched with saf us56 and currently sitting on 16c.

Dave

Latest posts

Back