what do you reckon?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moodgett

Reaction score
Hi All,

just looking for some suggestions on the following

I have ordered

1kg LDME
1kg Wheat DME
250gm Light Crystal
100gm Carared
100g Carapils
100g Nelson Sauvin
US05

i kind of got carried away a little and blended ingredients from a couple of recipes found on here.

I have primarily been brewing DSGA and last batch single hopped with cascade and upped the additions and used up 100g total.

so i guess what im asking is should i stick to DSGA's hop additions with NS? or maybe go down the track of Ross' NS summer ale with hop additions?

Cheers,
moodgett

Carared wont work with what you have.

Keep the wheat to about 20-30%. You will need more malt. Carapils and xtal will work.

Mmm NS...not a big fan but I think it would work with the wheat if you dont go silly. NS can be powerfull.

Carared is a great malt, but more suited to scottish/irish reds or ESB

thanks ducatiboy :)

so you reckon i cant treat it like DSGA but hop instead with NS?

also with the more malt needed, how much? and what type?
can i not keep it at a lower abv?

also would the carared make it like an american red ale?

sorry for all the questions

Hmnnn. I've only keg hopped with NS before, it was a very tasty keg hop. Got a little grassy at the start but that went away. Beer was a cracker.

Re wheat and carared. Well, if you are ok with a wheat ale kind of brew and the carared might add some slight caramel flavours and a little colour and sweetness. I'm talking off the base of using 200g caraaroma in a single batch and that is wayyyy darker and more crystallised than carared by the look of the specs, ferment it out with an attenuative yeast and have bitterness in the beer that suits the sweetness left in it.

You could make a very nice beer by just using the LDME and wheat DME with Nelson Savin. Hop it from 20 minutes on to about 25 IBU. Get some 1056 liquid it's way better than "the dust" (us05) and you'll have a real nice American wheat.
Let us know how it turned out.

i'd probably also suggest, if you haven't used it already, to download brewmate - http://brewmate.net/ - it's free brewing software so you get an idea of the grain bill and how it pairs up with the hops etc.

apologies if you already have/use it or something similar. i agree with gav80 on his grist selection but for starting out i'd stick with your US-05 as you have there. no dramas at all.

best thing in my still very new opinion is to start simple and progress your recipes from there. i do that as i want to know the tastes that all the ingredients bring to the beer. if i throw 6 kinds of grain in, i'm not going to be able to discern what is making what flavour.

my 2c

hi guys

thanks to everyone with the suggestions. a quick question, as im on phone atm I domt have access to the recipe ispreadsheet. is anyone able to do me a hop schedule similar to gavs comment between 25-30 ibu I would very much appreciate it. I have 100g bag of NS and im not afraid to use it. doing a brew at the olds house straight after work this arvo

cheers

Hey guys

Last year did this one

1kg ldme
1kg wheat dme
250gm light crystal
100gm carapils

30 min boil
15g ns @ 20
15g ns @10
20g ns @ flame out

Absolute cracker :)

Just moved to a new houwe recently and better set up for permanent brewhaus

Changed hop schedule to
16@ 20
18@ 10
20@ flamo

Opened up the ferment box and copped a tropical fruit punch in the shnoz...

Amazing

have you had a chance to look at brewmate? I'd highly suggest it so you know your figures. It's not hard to pick up and helps you to understand what you're making

Heya

I have been using ianhs spreadsheet but yes have started looking at brewmate :)
Estimated og was 1.043
Hit actual 1.041

Also estimated IBU was 25.6 from memory

Back