What do you think of this SmAsH?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the look of your recipe. I have a MO/Mosaic SMaSH which I basically have to brew regularly to keep up with 'customer' demand. I use an OG 1.048, 34 IBU, 2g/L whirlpool, 2g/L DH. Its just so easy to smash (pun intended) down multiple pints, it borders on ridiculous.

manticle said:
Maris does have distinct malt character, esp if compared with other pale bases (as it should be).

Still - on its own it will allow the hop to show through with enough supporting character and is a good choice for a smash.
I brewed a SMaSH recently with all MO and Citra hops. My Citra was added only late in the boil and i performed a hop stand for 30mins after. I dry hopped with the remaining hops (20g).

Whilst the beer is still young, I would not say it is a well balanced beer. Personally I'm not a fan of single malt beers. Add a bit of munich/carapils and the game changes.

MO is distinctly nutty according to DrSmurto - he substituted nuts for spent MO grains in a cake recipe, so those with a nut allergy could have some. Apparently those who tried the cake had to triple-check it didn't actually contain nuts due to the intense flavour. That's from a post of his on another forum, I came across it while researching differences between GP and MO (and the general consensus re GP is as above, honeylike sweetness)

(ed) it was his post on AHB actually, and it was using a beer made with MO, not spent grains. This thread. "Slightly OT - make a fig cake for work which used 200mL of my dark ale on tap. A simple Coopers like dark ale but i used MO as the base malt and a single bittering addition of Magnum. No nuts in the cake and everyone commented on the nuttiness to the point where those with nut allergies were asking twice just to make sure."

I made this up and tried it today. The recipe was the same as posted, with the addition of 250g Cara-pils and only 30g dry hopped for 5 days. (I got a bit scared of too much hop aroma)

I hit the numbers dead on, so it's around the 5% ABV mark bottled.

And dam it's freakn beautifu!!

The only thing I'm wondering, is what to classify it as? A Pale Ale of some sort??

Andy_27 said:
The only thing I'm wondering, is what to classify it as? A Pale Ale of some sort??
Most likely a pale ale, hybrid of US and UK ingredients, depending which yeast you used.

Andy_27 said:
I made this up and tried it today. The recipe was the same as posted, with the addition of 250g Cara-pils and only 30g dry hopped for 5 days. (I got a bit scared of too much hop aroma)

I hit the numbers dead on, so it's around the 5% ABV mark bottled.

And dam it's freakn beautifu!!

Beer?

Ham is the other choice

fdsaasdf said:
Most likely a pale ale, hybrid of US and UK ingredients, depending which yeast you used.
I used S-04 so it's more an English Pale I guess. I was going to enter it in a local comp for some feed back and was scratching my head as to the category... Worst case, I go wild card!

Apa. Simcoe will be most present.
Or enter one bottle as apa, one as ukpa.

manticle said:
Apa. Simcoe will be most present.
Or enter one bottle as apa, one as ukpa.
Cheers! Yeah after a bit of reading into styles, APA might be more appropriate.

Latest posts

Back