What Do You Reckon Of This Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
Tell me if you think im on the right track with this recipe....

I want this beer to be crystal clear, light in colour and body, full hoppy aroma and flavour, crisp and refreshing, not too bitter, but bitter enough to nicely complement a bowl of chilli nuts or corn chips with salsa dip. I want it to be a session beer so not too malty but a tinge of complexity.

Im making myself thirsty here just thinking about it, might go pour myself a pint or two :chug:

Here's the recipe i came up with, what do you think?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Outlook Pale Ale
Brewer: Nathan
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 28.54 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.20 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 94.4 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 5.6 %
20.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (45 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
30.00 gm Hallertauer [3.70%] (30 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
30.00 gm Hallertauer [3.70%] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [StaYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.45 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.59 L of water at 71.9 C 65.6 C 75 min

I reckon a touch of light munich, maybe 8 - 10% to back up the pilsner and provide a little more body. Can't comment on how Hallertau goes with Cascade and Amarillo, but the latter two work well together. Maybe just stick with them and steep some in after the boil has finished before chilling (or no chilling) to provide some more aroma.

Can comment on 029 in APA's though. Fantastic :beerbang:

Cheers.

I think those hops go well together, hopsta. I've done an IIPA with a couple of Hallertau varieties, Cascade and Amarillo and I like it. :chug:

I think Duff's suggestion of Light Munich is a really good idea. You could also chuck in some wheat malt or even some kind of sugar to lighten up the body.

Yeh i actually thought 250gm (5.3%) of light munich may go well but then decided i didnt want any sweetness it may contribute. But in such small amounts it may be ok i suppose.
Hallertau goes REALLY well with cascade, i brewed an amber ale recently with this combination and thats what has made me want to try it again, but in a beer more suited to warmer weather.

I think those hops go well together, hopsta. I've done an IIPA with a couple of Hallertau varieties, Cascade and Amarillo and I like it. :chug:

I think Duff's suggestion of Light Munich is a really good idea. You could also chuck in some wheat malt or even some kind of sugar to lighten up the body.

Thanks for your input fellas. I'll try this.

Cheers.

Ingredients:
------------
3.60 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 83.7 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 4.7 %
0.20 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 4.7 %
0.30 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 7.0 %

I have not used the White Labs Kolsch yeast so this may be redundant. However, if the Wyeast Kolsch yeast is anything to go by you will have trouble getting it crystal clear without extensive lagering/filtering/finings.

I would also dump the crystal in a swilling beer. That is personal preference though. I think that caramel you get from crystal can make a beer a little cloying. If you add the Munich you have even more of an excuse to dump it.

I have not used the White Labs Kolsch yeast so this may be redundant. However, if the Wyeast Kolsch yeast is anything to go by you will have trouble getting it crystal clear without extensive lagering/filtering/finings.

I would also dump the crystal in a swilling beer. That is personal preference though. I think that caramel you get from crystal can make a beer a little cloying. If you add the Munich you have even more of an excuse to dump it.
You can use 0.3-0.4 of Carapils. If You go to use any 200-300 gramm of wheat malt You can use Kolsch Yeast too. If no -- that no

I'm with Aaron & Gambrinus on this one. Don't use the crystal, use about 200 grams of Carapils. I'd also swap the Munich for Vienna.

The Whitelabs Kolsch yeast is a goer! You will not be disappointed.

I copied the following from Whitelabs site.

WLP029 German Ale/ Klsch Yeast
From a small brewpub in Cologne, Germany, this yeast works great in Klsch and Alt style beers. Good for light beers like blond and honey. Accentuates hop flavors, similar to WLP001. The slight sulfur produced during fermentation will disappear with age and leave a super clean, lager like ale.
Attenuation: 72-78%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 18-21C
Does not ferment well less than 16C, unless during active fermentation.
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Regards,
Lindsay.

Thanks for your input fellas. I'll try this.
Cheers.

Ingredients:
------------
3.60 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 83.7 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 4.7 %
0.20 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 4.7 %
0.30 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 7.0 %

Notwithstanding the crystal, the grainbill looks very "Dortmunder" ish...I'd drop the dextrose and crystal and beef up the Munich I to 500g. To me the dextrose is in direct opposition to the crystal and I'd happily replace both with more fresh Munich I...

My $0.02 ;)

Cheers,
TL

Latest posts

Back