What Comes First

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
I have only done 2 AG brews recently so I don't profess to know much about the art.

Though I have read numerous threads and topics on this forum. I am just beginning to learn.

Mainly I have learned to put the strike water into the mash tun (in my case an esky) and then pour the grain in whilst stirring.

I have read the below link and it makes a little bit of sense. (Grain first, then water)

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/b...5.4/palmer.html

Which is better, OR does it really matter?

What works for you?

Adding water first? Then do it.

Adding water after the grains? Then do it.

I've used both methods, and at the end of the day, see what works for your system, and use that method.

Either way, you'll make beer.

Prost and cheers.

Agree with Warra 100%.

I always add water first, in fact I heat the water in my mash tun with an immersion heater, and have never had an issue with efficiency etc... 88-90%.

The only problem I see with grain first is, if you mis temp than you have a bit more a challenge fixing it then if you just have water to deal with.

2c.

There might already be a few threads about this on pretty much every forum there is on brewing.

At the risk of yardy accusing me of sitting on the fence on the issue, I tend to add some water, then add grain, stir, check temp and repeat so I can adjust as I go.

Whichever way you choose will still make beer and there are reasons for and against both.

With my Esky brand mash tun I always water first at higher than needed temp, let it cool to Beersmiths recommended then add grain.
This helped to pre heat the tun so I managed to hit strike temp 99% of the time.
I now use a 50Litre SS tun and using Beersmith I allow for the thermal mass. Grain in first then underlet.
Only done a few this way and after tweaking a little after the first I am now confident with this method.

Does it make a difference to my beers? Probably not.
Cheers
Nige

For me, with my HERMS, it's grain into the tun, then underlet, and recirculate until I hit mash temp (which is usually within 10 mins max)....

Form there I fill the tun up to the level of my sparge arm, then recirculate the mash for 60-90 mins.

However, this may or may not work in your system.

When single infusion mashing in the esky, it was definitely water first, then a furious stirring while adding the grains.

Cheers

I add grain to my gatorade style cooler, then underlet. Once you work out the temp loss for a regular mash, you can fairly easily adjust for different mash thicknesses and temps. A kettle on the boil and a jug of cold water for late adjustments helps too.

I have found that if I keep m strike water 4c above brew software recommendation, I hit mash temp every time. I cover manifold with strike water, drop hose in, add grain, and theoretically underlet while smashing any doughballs if they shall occur.
Cheers

Back