What Cheezes You Off!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, not your week for that sorta thing. :eek:

Have you tried sticking a black beer disconnect on your gas line. Turning the pressure up pretty high and basically blasting the flower away from the tube?

Warren -

yeah have done that but to no avail. I may need to just transfer(slowly) the beer to another keg using some beer line with 2 liquid disconnects.

Could also degas, take out the offending diptube (assuming the hop is still lodged in it) replace with another and transfer or continue ??

Warren -

What cheeses me off is the bit of hop cone that is blocking the dip tube in my freshly tapped corny keg reducing the flow rate to just a trickle. :angry:

Been there......
As some one posted here a bit back, I got some of those tea bags from a trendy tea shop and seal them with a bag sealer but you could use the edge of an iron.
Works a treat with the cones in the keg and I just chuck em when finished.

I will take a pic when I dry hop a keg over the weekend.

*As soon as someone finds out you brew beer they feel its their right to ask you to supply them serveral bottles of each style of beer you have for them to sample at their leasure.
* If they dont have the balls to flat out ask for freebies they ask if they can buy a few bottles from you....

Steve save yourself these hassles by not bottling! Plus you will save your self the hassle of bottling as well.
Get yourself a party keg for takeaways or by something nice from a bottle shop if you could not be bothered taking a party keg with you.

Been there......
As some one posted here a bit back, I got some of those tea bags from a trendy tea shop and seal them with a bag sealer but you could use the edge of an iron.
Works a treat with the cones in the keg and I just chuck em when finished.

I will take a pic when I dry hop a keg over the weekend.

These are also good (too open weave for pellets though). They're around $4 each from most Aquariums. They vary in size but the ones that I get can hold around 30g of hop cones (probably more). Have a drawstring and are easy to Napisan and wash. With some TLC good for at least a dozen keggings.

They're called "filter medium bags".

Hey Luke are the tea bags any good for pellets? Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some.

Warren -

Aquarium_Marine_Filtration_Filter_Media_Aqua_Medic_Filterbags.jpg

Sometimes you wonder whether it's worth giving a certain someone a beer to take home, and then if the bottle is worthy of losing. I try to bottle a handful of stubbies for this reason.

I gave a stubbie each of my golden strong ale to a couple of SWMBO's friends over xmas. One said it was absolutely beautiful, the other said, in these words, it was shit. I guess it just wasn't up to scratch compared to his favourite pure bland.

Now I have someone to give my dishwater bitter to next time he comes over. I just have to put on a straight face as I drink it, but it'll be worth it to see him suffer. :icon_vomit:

I locked a diptube with 1/2 a plug of hops a long time ago. Siphoned the beer to another keg with 1/2" hose with a screen on the end.
Fixed the problem, bit of mucking around but saved the Beer.

Steve save yourself these hassles by not bottling! Plus you will save your self the hassle of bottling as well.
Get yourself a party keg for takeaways or by something nice from a bottle shop if you could not be bothered taking a party keg with you.
Yep, I dont bottle, but have 4 kegs on the go all the time. I have been know to fill a few bottles from the taps. Also doing that throws my production v consumtion ratios out. I generally brew once every 2 weeks and I like to keep a black/stout, Pilsner, a lite style and a special on tap at all times. Also I plan 4 brews ahead. So if I need to drain a keg for friends to take home in bottles that I will get no constructive feedback. Don't get me wrong I am more than happy to drain a keg with anyone but like my bar sign now say's "All alcohol is to be consumed on site"

Steve

Hey Luke are the tea bags any good for pellets? Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some.

Don't know as I have not tried them.
Still working my way thru the Kiwi cones and my home crop.
I have some US cascade pellets that might get that gig.
I think some of the home brew shops sell them in little tea bags so I guess they work.

I don't get through my beer very quickly, so I'm happy for friends and blow-ins to help me move on to the next batch. Generally they're very appreciative but I often find myself left with the six pack of swill which they brought and then abandoned in favour of my beer.

Once the wet weather starts, I have plenty of xxxx-gold to use in my snail traps. :D

Once the wet weather starts, I have plenty of xxxx-gold to use in my snail traps.

You *******. I think the snails would prefer to be stomped on or disembowelled by a 4 year old rather than being fed that crap.

Awesome signs guys! Definitely printing out those for the fridge/my uni room door. Perhaps a "Get Drunk or Get Funked!" sign would suffice? Even "You haven't been payin', so don't be complainin'!" Haha!

I must have a pretty good assortment of mates - they all seem to reckon my brews are alright ['cept for my Porter]...once I showed them how it was donw my brother and mates from home went to the extent of getting a 60L fermentor and assigning it status of flatmate!

Cheers - boingk

I have a mate with an excellent wine cellar. He also has an amazing palate. I can take a bottle of red wine, shrouded in a brown paper bag and pour him a glass. Within a few sips he'll tell me the variety, the region, sometimes the exact vintage (always within a year or two) and often the winery. He can describe the most detailed flavours and aromas from red wine, down to the point of being able to pick the location by the mineral content derived from the soil the grapes grew in. His favourite beer is Boags St George.

I used to share the odd homebrew with him, but now, meh, I only ask for one glass when I take a growler over there, but usually I just drink his vintage reds. Had some pearlers at his place.

Anyway, what Cheezes me off about this is that here is a really well trained palate that thinks beers should be thin, bland, fizzy water. The most likely of my friends to be converted to good beer is a wine snob who can't understand beer snobbery. Weird, huh?

I have a mate with an excellent wine cellar. He also has an amazing palate. I can take a bottle of red wine, shrouded in a brown paper bag and pour him a glass. Within a few sips he'll tell me the variety, the region, sometimes the exact vintage (always within a year or two) and often the winery. He can describe the most detailed flavours and aromas from red wine, down to the point of being able to pick the location by the mineral content derived from the soil the grapes grew in. His favourite beer is Boags St George.

I used to share the odd homebrew with him, but now, meh, I only ask for one glass when I take a growler over there, but usually I just drink his vintage reds. Had some pearlers at his place.

Anyway, what Cheezes me off about this is that here is a really well trained palate that thinks beers should be thin, bland, fizzy water. The most likely of my friends to be converted to good beer is a wine snob who can't understand beer snobbery. Weird, huh?

That is very interesting... beer and wine are completely different... red wine is far more complex to beer and for him/her to prefer bland beer.... Im still amazed he can tell what region a grape can come from! what a palate!

:lol: :lol:
what can you do eh....?

View attachment 18489

I put this simple pic together a while back for my website (which sits stagnant and unloved....much like the beer in the picture above, actually). It may come in useful to get your point across ;)

Bugwan,
that is a vital bit of OH&S signage :) . Maybe there should be a line of t-shirts produced?

Back