What caused you to change your job

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could get a job as a machinist...its something that really interests me. But there are no jobs about, and I am not even machinists swarf -_-

Sometimes I feel nerdy when I think how much I actually love my job.

I manage a very small number of people but have a reasonable responsibility and fair amount of autonomy.

The people who work for me are great - really good attitude and work ethic, very competent, good people.
I never ask them to do something I wouldn't do, rarely ask them to do something I can't do (and if I do I make sure they know I value their expertise and experience) and never withold showing them things they may not have experienced because the more skills and knowledge they have the better. Witheld knowledge as a method of retaining/maintaining power works against rather than for you.

I loved my last job, even after 12 years but moving to this one was a move I'm super happy I made.

I still keep learning, its something you dont stop doing. I always enjoy someone showing me a different way of doing something or something I have never done

Things have changed a lot in the 20-odd years since my apprenticeship, the leaps in technology have been amazing

I've been fairly lucky that most jobs that I left have been my choice-better pay/better options/better prospects etc.A butcher by trade,got into freight/transport then 15 years in underground hard rock mining.Left mining a couple of years ago and back into transport (bit of livestock then moved to where we are living now-container side loader work)Always remember hearing "you never stop learning "and have tried to live by this.It is still surprising to me when getting to see how other industry/occupations do things.Rob.

also dealt with a fair share of fuckwits at times-used to think I had a talent to attract them so you other guys don't feel bad-they're in most occupations(my downfall is not dealing with them real well....so I've been told)

I will also add that a few months on the dole sure does sharpen you up when you get a job. Makes you value it a hell of a lot more

You mean getting a miniscule 'living' allowance and being treated like a social pariah is rarely something most people choose to do?

Crazy.

manticle said:
You mean getting a miniscule 'living' allowance and being treated like a social pariah is rarely something most people choose to do?

Crazy.
Yep

You really do get treated like shit, and those useless oxygen thieving " Employment Providores" are just scamming the **** out of the system and getting away with it. You are just a number and $$$ to them

Been there for a very fortunately short time, watched others go through it. Unpleasant.
I guess the time I spent on it was so shit, I got whatever work I could get which some might argue is the point.

Personally I think the point is to help people find meaningful employment because people who get made redundant were paying tax for exactly that kind of service. The percentage of lazy bong smoking cretins happy with $200 a week for the remainder of their days is pretty small. I'd rather pay tax towards a system that supports them than to most politicians to be honest.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I still keep learning, its something you dont stop doing. I always enjoy someone showing me a different way of doing something or something I have never done

Things have changed a lot in the 20-odd years since my apprenticeship, the leaps in technology have been amazing
So do I. I reckon its great when you have been doing something the same way all your life then suddenly you get shown or find out a better way.

What annoys me are the people that are some how insulted when shown something new or better. "That's the way I have always done it" is usually their answer and will not change their ways.

here's my history in a snap shot

JOB
1st - 17yrs old, just to get a job
2nd - bigger company better pay
3rd - didn't want to move town with the 2nd job
4th - left my home town five years later anyway
5th - any job, just to get a job - window cleaner
6th - moved further north to be near sick Father - any job - sold cars
7th - moved back to the city to be with my mrs - any job - banking and finance
8th - sick of all the hype and bullshit that goes with the above - took a job as a Postie for a break
9th - after 10 years with Aus Post as a contractor (including moving interstate to my partners home town) and two young kids coming along i realised i never got to go on holidays with the family so had to put an end to the contract
10th - working part-time at my kids primary school so spending more time with the kidlings and the mrs earns more full time than me anyway so it's a good fit
11th - might stay within the school system, might not - don't know, for the short term it is the best fit for us

hope that explains my decisions...which would be a feat in itself...lol

I reckon having kids makes a big difference to how you approach work and decisions on where you work

I have worked two jobs for the last three years, chopping and changing along the way for my day job and remaining loyal to my night job. I only drifted around for my day job hoping to land with a husband and wife business that supports the needs of my family, which finally happened in September of last year....I couldn't be happier now after being given the opportunity to buy into the company as 1/3 of its foundation☺ happy days now.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I reckon having kids makes a big difference to how you approach work and decisions on where you work
Definitely agree here. Seeing the kids grow makes me know what my priorities are.

Dads are sacrificial animals to some degree. And what a privilege. But coming home happy matters to all and sundry.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Definitely agree here. Seeing the kids grow makes me know what my priorities are.

Dads are sacrificial animals to some degree. And what a privilege. But coming home happy matters to all and sundry.
Judging by your avatar, at least one of your kids look very happy.

goomboogo said:
Judging by your avatar, at least one of your kids look very happy.
Yep, it's a onesies household here. Hard not to be happy in a onesie.....listening to reggae music.... With a hot water bottle.... And warm milo ;)

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Yep, it's a onesies household here. Hard not to be happy in a onesie.....listening to reggae music.... With a hot water bottle.... And warm milo ;)
You had me right up to the Milo. I'm more of a whiskey and hot chocolate guy. My muddy brown onesie disguises all the spills.

goomboogo said:
You had me right up to the Milo. I'm more of a whiskey and hot chocolate guy. My muddy brown onesie disguises all the spills.
Milo: code word for single malt.

7 or 8 moves for me. Agriculture /Environment/ disposable employee.

... the old days of permanency is finished. Short term contracts. Sometimes 6 months, sometimes 18 months.. sometimes week to week...

good4whatAlesU said:
7 or 8 moves for me. Agriculture /Environment/ disposable employee.

... the old days of permanency is finished. Short term contracts. Sometimes 6 months, sometimes 18 months.. sometimes week to week...
It can be a shit of a way to live.

And more smaller jobs means a greater tax base, the 2nd and 3rd jobs you need to have to survive would make 'em a short term tax motza.

Latest posts

Back