What category should I enter in?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreads_2006

Reaction score
I have a brew that is a cross between a black IPA and a porter, just wondering if anyone knows what category I would put this under for the QABC? Or should I put it as two entries one in IPA and one in Porter

If it's a Black IPA, it will lose marks for appearance and flavour in IPA. Best off putting it in Specialty as a Black IPA. Porter, when brewed to style, doesn't have a load of hops in it, so you'll lose marks for that in that category.

Ok that sounds sensible, so should I put down chocolate malt as the specialty ingredient? Cheers for your reply

dreads_2006 said:
Ok that sounds sensible, so should I put down chocolate malt as the specialty ingredient? Cheers for your reply
If the QABC is judged the same as Vicbrew,then you need to be careful with what you put down as an ingredient.If you put down chocolata malt ,and it can't be tasted,then you'll lose points.You really need to taste the beer first and see what flavours are there before listing ingredients.Not sure how much of choc malt flavour would be acceptable in a black IPA,not a lot I'd think .

If it has enough roast character from the choc malt and isn't over the top with hops, American Stout (12.2) might be another option.

Alright I think I will put it in as a specialty black IPA and list chocolate malt as the specialty ingredient. As it is very hoppy and u can taste the chocolate malt on the palate at the end with a toasty after taste. Cheers for the help

If you enter it as a black IPA,and want to mention ingredients,then you should list ALL the ingredients that make the beer different from the nominated base style.American IPA is the base style,a black IPA is the special aspect of the beer and as such ALL the grains that change colour,flavour,etc from the original style description should be listed,if you intend to :) http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style23.php

I ended up entering it as a black IPA and got a bronze for it, it beat the other black IPA in the group so ill count that as 1st place haha

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Latest posts

Back