What Can I Expect From This ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dago001

Move Along - Nuthin To See Here
Reaction score
Hi all, I have put down this recipe and I am not sure what type/style of beer to expect.

1.5 kg coopers LLME
1.0 kg LDME
0.5kg dried wheat extract

12g cascade pellets @ 40 mins boil
12g cascade pellets @ 20 mins boil
10g amarillo pellets @ 5 mins
10g amarillo pellets at flame out
safale s05 yeast

Any suggetions? I am a newb at extract brewing.
Cheers
David

I'm new to extracts as well, but it looks like an American Pale Ale style to me.

Yeah. Thought that myself, but just wanted a little confirmation. It was a mix up of a couple of recipes to suit ingredients that I had at home.
Cheers
David

Havent done any sums, but it seems a little underhopped.

What size is the boil to be? Are you boiling all the extracts? IMO I think it would benefit from a little crystal malt also. Depends on what size the boil is and how much of the extracts are going in to it on weather it need more hops or not. Also what's the final volume?

Thought about crystal malt, but unable to acquire any at the moment.
Boil size is 6 litres with LLME and half LDME.

Edit: final volume 20 litres

I don't have access to BeerSmith ATM so I can't work much out for you but may I suggest doing the 6ltr boil with just 600g of the dry malt and add the rest of the dry malt with 10 mins left on the boil, then add the licquid malt at flameout. This will give you a better boil gravity to utilise the hops, and you wont need to use as much. I think though, you'll still need a bit more bittering hops to balance out the sweetness. Anyone care to put it through BS for the lad.

I suggest doing the 6ltr boil with just 600g of the dry malt and add the rest of the dry malt with 10 mins left on the boil, then add the licquid malt at flameout. This will give you a better boil gravity to utilise the hops, and you wont need to use as much. I think though, you'll still need a bit more bittering hops to balance out the sweetness. Anyone care to put it through BS for the lad.

Thats exactly what I was thinking....hang on, I'll punch it in.

OK: here it is, based on the OP's recipe, but with 600g of the ldm in the 6L boil.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 6.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.60 kg ldme BOIL (7.0 EBC) Dry Extract 20.0 %
0.50 kg Wheat Dry Extract POST BOIL (15.8 EBDry Extract 16.7 %
0.40 kg LDM - POST BOIL (7.0 EBC) Dry Extract 13.3 %
1.50 kg Coopers llme (6.7 EBC) Extract 50.0 %
12.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (40 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
12.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (20 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60%] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60%] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
----------------------------

Notes:
------
hop AA taken from craftbrewers current stock.
ignore malt colours, they're not accurate.

Hang on, I'll juggle it to match the BG for what the OP did

Edit: heres what I get with the boil as per post 6:

Estimated IBU: 10.7 IBU

so the utilisation would have taken a big whack. In either case, it's still underhopped.....

Has this been done yet? or is it planned? if it's only planned, I'll rework the hopping.

Reckon it is underhopped should have done 20g Cascade for 60min rather than 12g for 40min and only used 100g per litre (sg1.040) of DME in your boil

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated IBU: 31.6 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.60 kg ldme BOIL (7.0 EBC) Dry Extract 20.0 %
0.50 kg Wheat Dry Extract POST BOIL (15.8 EBDry Extract 16.7 %
0.40 kg LDM - POST BOIL (7.0 EBC) Dry Extract 13.3 %
1.50 kg Coopers llme (6.7 EBC) Extract 50.0 %
22.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (60 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
12.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (20 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60%] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.60%] (0 min) Hops -

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.54 kg
----------------------------

Notes:
------
hop AA taken from craftbrewers current stock.
ignore malt colours, they're not accurate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There ya go.
If you want some crystal, then ~200-250g of caramalt or a similar light crystal.....
its not entirely dissimilar to DrS extract version.....

EDIT:
if you've already done the boil, it can be fixed...it's not a perfect solution, but it's a solution.

boil 20g of cascade in 2L of water for 30mins. Keep an eye on the water level, don't let it go dry due to evaporation....if required, add a little more water during the boil. Aim to keep the volume at, or above, 1L....then (presuming that your still in the early stages of ferment), cool it down a bit, then chuck it in.

Hops are normally best boiled in wort - but to fix mistakes, water boils can be handy.

glad i refreshed the threead before punching it all in. good work butters.

I think he's already made it by the sounds of things. which leaves 3 options:
1. no nothing and see how it comes out
2. Dry Hop for illusion of bitterness.
3. boil up some wort and extra hops for 60 min, then add into the main batch as a top up.

Has been done already. Would be happy to get the hops reworked so that I can try again.
Only been in the fermenter about 16 hours, is there any way of adjusting hops now eg dry hoping

LB, you posted whilst I was still editing. :lol:

see my post above, I've done both for you. ;)

Thanks buttersd70. Saw that as I posted my reply. I will try boiling the hops and adding to the brew. Thanks to all others who have offered suggestions and help. I will have to get a copy of beersmith and have a play around with it. A lot of this goes over my head but I will catch on fairly quickly if I want my brews to any good.
Cheers
david

Edit: Will do it right now. Have 1 stubby of James Squire hop thief left, so should just about be right.

Thanks buttersd70. Saw that as I posted my reply. I will try boiling the hops and adding to the brew. Thanks to all others who have offered suggestions and help. I will have to get a copy of beersmith and have a play around with it. A lot of this goes over my head but I will catch on fairly quickly if I want my brews to any good.
Cheers
david

Edit: Will do it right now. Have 1 stubby of James Squire hop thief left, so should just about be right.

Hi lagerbomb, just to let you know beersmith has a free trial period or download ianh's kit and extract beer speadsheet its a cracker.Ive been using it for a while. Very good for us kit and extract brewers, easy to use and good fun as well. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Latest posts

Back