What Bottles Not To Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite the fact that PET doesn't sit right with me psychologically, I find it hard to believe that anyone could ferment happily in a plastic fermenter yet pretend they could find the difference in bottling pET/glass. In a blind taste test I'm not sure I could either but I'd be happy to have a go.

I think you would be able to taste the difference if the beer were aged for an extended period in pet vs glass.

There's something I'm not getting. Why would glass or plastic make a difference to whether you can drink straight from the bottle? Sediment will surely remain in either type.

You're correct. My point was, it's irrelavant to me what the beer was in before I decant it and then pour it into a clean, cold glass schooner. If I could bottle without the sediment, I would bottle into glass. :)

I think you would be able to taste the difference if the beer were aged for an extended period in pet vs glass.

Old beer is not a phenomenon I'm familiar with. :chug:

Has anyone used the 500ml Bernard Lager\Dark\etc swingtops with any success?

Could be. I bought some PET bottles once when I ran out of glass and needed to bottle. The brews in PET did taste different to me but I'm not sure how much of that was pure psychology. It was only KK cooper's stout and only bottled for a fortnight before drinking. I also used to drink straight from the bottle then. How much more cultured I am today.

I've only used the PET bottles since for a couple of failed attempts at yeast culturing.

Glass feels right to me but that doesn't mean I can state definitively that one is better than the other.

@Nick: I think I follow you now.

I wouldn't, i think the glass is quite thin, and they're clear. You might get away with it if you have a bench capper but i wouldn't go near them with those hand held hammer on things.

Coopers longies are great, I use them all the time. CUB ones are pretty solid too.

The only bottle I've had 'explode' was a West End Draught bottle, and when I found it, it looked more like it fell apart than exploded, since all the glass was still kinda sitting in a bottle shape, just broken up into several pieces. QUite odd.

Coopers longies are great, I use them all the time.

Anyone remember when Coopers went over to the 800ml twist tops a few years back? They didnt last long, and quickly reverted to the old 750ml pry-top. I think a lot of their market must be homebrewers buying it for the bottles...

Hey Guys,

I am new to brewing and have already developed a phobia of using glass bottles I was wondering what bottles not to use? I have a collection of Beez Kneez, Montieh and Carona Bottles. I was wondering what bottles are bad to use that are thinner and prone to cracking or exploding. I notice on the beez kneez bottle that they say not for reuse should I not use these?

Thanks for any help.

My preference is to use champange bottles, much stronger than anything else. You need to by the larger tirage caps and change the bell on your capper. Never had a problem with these and they seem to pour really well due to the raised base section.

Anyone remember when Coopers went over to the 800ml twist tops a few years back? They didnt last long, and quickly reverted to the old 750ml pry-top. I think a lot of their market must be homebrewers buying it for the bottles...

Have the Coopers stubbies ever been crown seal? I bought a case recently expecting to get crown seals but was surprised to find they are twist tops. Just wondering if this is a new stubbie bottle.

Have the Coopers stubbies ever been crown seal? I bought a case recently expecting to get crown seals but was surprised to find they are twist tops. Just wondering if this is a new stubbie bottle.

Not that I'm a regular Coopers stubbies purchaser, I do buy them every now and then and I think have been twist tops for some years now (I remember from around 2005 or so that they were twisties then). I really only buy Coopers in long necks so I can re-use for them for bottling and steal the yeast sediment off the bottom :p

They've been twist tops for ages.

I add my vote for Coopers longnecks - they are the main base of my bottle collection and I'm quite happy to drink their beer. Coopers stout longnecks for around 6$ at my corner shop, pale for 4.99, everything else in between.

I can recall some non crown seals in my early barwork days (2002) as I recall ripping my hand open on one when I expected it to twist open.

Since then I open all bottles, twisty or not with a barblade.

Might have just been stuck. Bar people, because of the sheer number of tops they have to crack in a night, should probably stick to using Barman's friends anyway.

Just because nobody else has thrown this one in yet...

I bottle in Coopers stubbies using my bench capper, and have never had any problems. But then bottling is rare for me.

Cheers,

Might have just been stuck. Bar people, because of the sheer number of tops they have to crack in a night, should probably stick to using Barman's friends anyway.

I always did, but sometimes they go walkabout at the worst possible time.

Do any decent beers beside Coopers still come in 375 mL stubbies anyway? It seems that all the craft brewers do 330 mL, with James Squire at 345 mL.

Latest posts

Back