What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sierra Ferrell, said to be a future direction for Country music. A strong singer and her group are polished players. Great harmonies and tight tempo too.

Here she is singing At The End Of The Rainbow live at the legendary Troubadour in LA earlier this year.

It’s federal election day, so ‘It’s ‘Time’ to listen to a new song from the old Australian group, The Whitlams.

Formed back in the early ‘90s the current line-up is called The Whitlams Black Stump Band and includes original leader Tim Freedman and long time band member Terepai Richmond on drums. They are on a long east coast tour winding down from Cairns in Qld. to Queenscliff and the Burrinja theatre at Upwey in Vic.

This new song is The Day John Sattler Broke His Jaw and recounts the epic violence and heroism of the 1970 Rugby League Grand Final. For what it does for Sydney and Rugby League this song maybe sits in the same cultural pocket as anthems like Paul Kelly’s Leaps and Bounds and Michael Brady’s Up There Cazaly for what they do for Melbourne and Aussie Rules footy. I reckon this one is a stayer too (pity old Gough wasn’t). And some contemporary pub scenes in the video.

Last edited:
It’s federal election day, so ‘It’s ‘Time’ to listen to a new song from the old Australian group, The Whitlams.

Formed back in the early ‘90s the current line-up is called The Whitlams Black Stump Band and includes original leader Tim Freedman and long time band member Terepai Richmond on drums. They are on a long east coast tour winding down from Cairns in Qld. to Queenscliff and the Burrinja theatre at Upwey in Vic.

This new song is The Day John Sattler Broke His Jaw and recounts the epic violence and heroism of the 1970 Rugby League Grand Final. For what it does for Sydney and Rugby League this song maybe sits in the same cultural pocket as anthems like Paul Kelly’s Leaps and Bounds and Michael Brady’s Up There Cazaly for what they do for Melbourne and Aussie Rules footy. I reckon this one is a stayer too (pity old Gough wasn’t). And some contemporary pub scenes in the video.

And the tears rolled down like Resch's

Nephew took an excursion to London to see Tool and had a splendid time, it would seem. Just updating myself on Spotify. Impressed so far.

Thanks, that’s quite a good cover. Hadn’t heard it before. Still probably like the Skyhooks original more, just that I can’t stand the silly glam-rock clothing and the weird makeup they and other bands wore in those days. But Skyhooks band members (and Graeme ‘Shirley’ Strachan in particular) were pitched as sex symbols to the teenage girls of the day, including my little sister who was nuts for them (and still is).

Here’s a cover of the above mentioned Leaps And Bounds sung by Glenn Richards from Augie March and Patience Hodgson from The Grates (with Paul Kelly coming in part way through). Was played at TV show RocKwiz’s ‘Salute to The Bowl’ in 2009 at the Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne. That band (The Rockwiz Orkestra) can play anything damn well, and the Wolfgramm Sisters were great backing singers.

I often play this while pouring a beer before I watch a footy match on TV. Which is what I’m going to do right now (Hawthorn v Brisbane in Tassie, then Fremantle v Collingwood in Perth - Go Pies!).

Government Mule - The Deep End Vol 1. Cracking album. Warren Haynes at his best.

Prestige Pawn by the Semi Supervillains. Played on cheap used instruments found in pawn shops, eBay etc. Love the deep resonant sound of that old 12 string. The interesting old footage of logging workers seems to complement the music well.

And this one, Slow Hand Slide, in a similar vein matched with footage of old rail gangs at work.

A bit of an indulgence (yeah, not my first). Steve Goodman's wonderful railway [sic] song City of New Orleans, sung by Arlo Guthrie, who gave it to the world. Anybody who has spent a night on a train will know the story this song tells. Thanks Steve.

EDIT: And to do him justice , here's Steve Goodman playing his own song back in the early '70s. Poor ******* died of cancer in the mid-80s. A lyrical genius who passed too soon.

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember the Arlo Guthrie version when it was first released. Have always loved it.
Just over the last couple of days I've pumped Willie Nelson's version through my stereo at some volume (mrs philrob not impressed with my volume but she loves the song too).

^ He's on the mend it seems.
1657237603798.png

Neil Finn and Nick Seymour from Crowded House talking about their songs and how they came into being.

Always fascinated by how the words and music are created, although some of this conversation goes beyond my understanding of music (I wish I had studied music theory in high school. But back then at my school there was only two kids on drums that marched us from morning assembly off to class. That was it. And no music teacher.)

Love Finn’s reference to the old Prince of Wales pub in St Kilda in Melbourne. Used to go there sometimes when I lived locally for a time in the late 90s. Could be a scary pub sometimes. You could see some amazing things just by hanging out at the Prince.

Last edited:
But back then at my school there was only two kids on drums that marched us from morning assembly off the class.
That was my experience, too, in the sixties. Always wanted to be that drummer and never got chosen. Practised like hell and was possibly even better than Meg White.
Do they still do that?

That was my experience, too, in the sixties. Always wanted to be that drummer and never got chosen. Practised like hell and was possibly even better than Meg White.
Do they still do that?
I don't think the practice survived long after military conscription ended here in the early '70s. The whole point of it (for us boys anyway) was to prepare us for army discipline and fighting in Vietnam. So the drum beats and also marching around to Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance playing over the schoolyard PA system was the state indoctrinating of its male youth with "proud music that draws men on to die". In previous wars this bullshitery wasn't necessary for young men to serve. But Vietnam was a shameful involvement for Australia and its young people knew it. A completely unnecessary and savage war only fought to please the friggin yanks. And we are still doing it (IMO anyway).

I listened to jazz funk all day yesterday…not sure who is going to be on rotation today…might chuck on some chick rock and get the rust out of my own pipes…or maybe some ella fitzgerald or billie holiday…

What a wonderful mix from you all. These days I just run Rebel 99.4 Gold Coast on iHeart radio. Get an awesome mix of old and newer!!!

Latest posts

Back