What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the moment, Manic Street Preachers, Bob Dylan and The Waterboys.

I'm 37 and I'm willing to have a go at practically any type of music and have been that way since the late eighties. A week ago, I heard a Waterboys song on the radio and thought I'd have to give them ago. I have no clue how I managed not to run into them before now and I'm a little annoyed with myself for having missed them through the nineties.

Ah well, it just shows there's still plenty of music to discover even among the things that were recorded when I was a kid.

I keep discovering heaps of good stuff from years ago.
Doesn't matter. If it's good, it's good.
No need to avoid Bela Bartok just because I wasn't alive when he was making tracks about houses with the legs of a chicken.

Top 40 shit on the radio because we've been banned from wearing headphones at work :(

I wish there were wireless earplugs that look like hearing protection that wifi to your phone.

manticle said:
I keep discovering heaps of good stuff from years ago.
Doesn't matter. If it's good, it's good.
No need to avoid Bela Bartok just because I wasn't alive when he was making tracks about houses with the legs of a chicken.
I couldn't agree more.

Most of the music I listen to, even in the pop/rock genres is from before I was born. With classical, obviously nearly everything is from before that time. After all, most people do not avoid literature just because it was written before their time, so why would one do so with music or any other art form? I regularly read and re-read Shakespeare.

Having said that, I do like to try to keep up with the quality that's made now. Much good stuff is available, it's just that one sometimes have to go digging a bit deeper to find it. Sadly, time constraints the past couple of years have meant that I can't claim to have the same knowledge of fantastic contemporary Indie bands that I once did.

Edited to include a big thumbs up for Bartok.

Ariana Grande - into you. Because I am in a cab and get reminded how ******* shit contemporary pop music actually is, against my will. Makes me want to eat my feet.

On no account should anyone see this as a recommendation. ******* drivel.

Thank Christ the cab is taking me to the airport to jump on a plane and see weedeater tomorrow night. That's the ear bleach I need.

manticle said:
Ariana Grande - into you. Because I am in a cab and get reminded how ******* shit contemporary pop music actually i, against my will. Makes me want to eat my feet.

On no account should anyone see this as a recommendation. ******* drivel.

Thank Christ the cab is taking me to the airport to jump on a plane and see weedeater tomorrow night. That's the ear bleach I need.
Where are they playing?

mongey said:
really been hitting the new aesop rock hard. digging it allot

if your an old dude,say over 40 , who doesnt mind hip hop its a must listen. its mostly about being an old dude who listesns to hip hop

Good recommendation.
I especially liked blood sandwich, great lyricist.

Last edited by a moderator:
been giving the new King Gizzard album a thrashing lately.
brilliant stuff. a true album where every song seems to run into the next to create forty odd minutes of relentless garage/psych bliss.
if you select repeat on your phone it even loops back into itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlcJHO5elFs

With a bit of a theme around the place in recent times of the fairer sex who can really belt out a tune...I have never forgotten hearing this for the first time, way BITD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAgp8Y-cUng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

Not an especially great song

But I'm coming to terms with the death of a friend from uni. He would be 30 now. Melanoma.

He listened to this song....consecutively... without interruption.....for 3 months I think. An ability we shared but I couldn't go much past a month. I was never as cool as him. Love ya Matt

Had a hankering this morning for some Rod Stewart (from when he was good)

Every Picture Tells a Story & Never a Dull Moment

The Amity Affliction - This Could be Heartbreak.

Going to see them for the 5th time next friday.

Latest posts

Back