What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if most here have seen it, but I saw the doco on Lee Perry "The Upsetter" a while back and it was really ace.

I think this is the appropriate thread for this one.
My 7yr old daughter's homework this week... asking me to help her spell the words "yesterday, heavy, and metal" to her grabbed my attention.
P1030099_1_1.JPG

Rock on. :super: :super: :super:

petesbrew said:
I think this is the appropriate thread for this one.
My 7yr old daughter's homework this week... asking me to help her spell the words "yesterday, heavy, and metal" to her grabbed my attention.
P1030099_1_1.JPG

Rock on. :super: :super: :super:
I'd rather she finished with "or no metal at all, wimps and posers, leave the hall" but I guess that might be asking too much of a 7 year old.

Speaking of metal looks like I'm forced to go to sound wave this year to see GWAR. Consolation prizes include Trash Talk, coliseum, testament and rocket from the crypt at this stage.
That will almost make up for the price, people, Brisbane heat and Carlton mid.

I saw GWAR a few years back at some metal festival in sydney (can't remember the name of it, had a decent lineup though) and they really are a great band to see live. Never really got into their music, but would happily go and see them again just for the show.

As to what I'm listening to atm, I've been getting into some devin townsend of late. Really enjoying ziltoid the omniscient as a bit of a light hearted concept album with some decent music behind it.

Just started listening to some oceansize as well, since our drummer is keen to go through one of their songs as a bit of a cover for practices. Really liking what I've heard thus far...

Oceansize are one of those bands I can't get tired of.

Speaking of Devin - SLY's "Alien" takes the cake for me. Such a solid sound, and so many layers to it without sounding cheesy (IMO) like his recent stuff. Get a lossless rip and listen to it really fcking loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtR1vbiYYc8

I was amazed at the first two albums by SYL, I probably degraded my copy of City with my cd laser. I find his latter gear a bit harder to dig.

sponge said:
I saw GWAR a few years back at some metal festival in sydney (can't remember the name of it, had a decent lineup though) and they really are a great band to see live. Never really got into their music, but would happily go and see them again just for the show.
Everyone loves getting sprayed by Oderus' multi coloured jizz. True story. This show will be worth while just for the between song banter considering Dave Brockie/Oderus' twitter rants against Dave Mustaine from Megadeth.

Anyway.....Here's some new GWAR:

Whoever produced this, or decided triggering the kick with a sound like pulling a suction cup off a window was a good idea, needs........well.....a lot of the things GWAR have done on stage to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liam_snorkel said:
I'm hoping that Down do a sideshow.
Down at the Arena was one of my favourite all time shows! Soundwave lineup is ok but no one I haven't seen before that's worth putting up with a bunch of fuckwits for.

If you like Saxon you will probably like Helix a Canadian "New Wave" of Heavy Metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to comment on NWOBHM (as a noun) favourably but there are too many Tool fans lurking around who may bash me as low brow...and their king is back...HE HAS RETURNED....

Bizier said:
I was amazed at the first two albums by SYL, I probably degraded my copy of City with my cd laser. I find his latter gear a bit harder to dig.
. I have to agree with you RE his "later gear" but I would not include Alien in that pile, it's his Magnum Opus. The guitar tone is savage, his vocal performance is unrivalled, and the inclusion of orchestral and choral bits & pieces were well placed. Particularly the marimba.

Bizier said:
I don't know if most here have seen it, but I saw the doco on Lee Perry "The Upsetter" a while back and it was really ace
Gotta say Bizier, you got good taste in music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N505JczoEGI

Listening to bluegrass and blues. am partial to some primus or slayer from time to time but don't own alot. Collard greens and gravy are kick arse Aussie blues

Back